walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin etrex 35 touch

Garmin etrex 35 touch

Postby ChrisG » Sun May 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Not sure if this has been asked before, can you tell me exactly how to down load GPX files onto my device via basecamp if possible.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Garmin etrex 35 touch

Postby davidh » Mon May 22, 2017 2:36 pm

I have an earlier Etrex model, but I'm fairly sure the method will be the same.
1. Run Basecamp.
2. Connect your Etrex into a USB port and wait for it to be recognised.
3. Import the GPX file you wish to send to your Etrex unit into the Basecamp "My Collection" folder by the following steps:
a) Select "My Collection" folder (should be visible near top left pane)
b) On the Basecamp Menu bar select "File" then "Import into My Collection" from the drop-down sub-menu
c) A file selection window will be displayed which allows you to navigate and open the file (GPX route) you wish to transfer to your Etrex
d) You can check the route on Basecamp's map by selecting the file from those in the "My Collection" folder and double clicking on it.
4. Transfer the GPX file to your Etrex, by these steps:
a) From the files in the "My Collection" folder, select the route you wish to transfer (i.e. file 3d above)
b) Select "Device" from the Basecamp Menu bar, then from the drop-down sub-menu select "Send to Device" and from the next level sub menu select "Send Selection to Device"
c) A window listing the devices available to Basecamp will be displayed, which should show your Etrex unit. Click on it, then click on the "OK" button and the GPX file will be transferred.
davidh

Postby ChrisG » Tue May 23, 2017 6:45 am

davidh wrote:I have an earlier Etrex model, but I'm fairly sure the method will be the same.
1. Run Basecamp.
2. Connect your Etrex into a USB port and wait for it to be recognised.
3. Import the GPX file you wish to send to your Etrex unit into the Basecamp "My Collection" folder by the following steps:
a) Select "My Collection" folder (should be visible near top left pane)
b) On the Basecamp Menu bar select "File" then "Import into My Collection" from the drop-down sub-menu
c) A file selection window will be displayed which allows you to navigate and open the file (GPX route) you wish to transfer to your Etrex
d) You can check the route on Basecamp's map by selecting the file from those in the "My Collection" folder and double clicking on it.
4. Transfer the GPX file to your Etrex, by these steps:
a) From the files in the "My Collection" folder, select the route you wish to transfer (i.e. file 3d above)
b) Select "Device" from the Basecamp Menu bar, then from the drop-down sub-menu select "Send to Device" and from the next level sub menu select "Send Selection to Device"
c) A window listing the devices available to Basecamp will be displayed, which should show your Etrex unit. Click on it, then click on the "OK" button and the GPX file will be transferred.

That worked fine thank you David
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby davidh » Tue May 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Good - Thanks for letting me know Chris.
Incidentally, I don't know if you already have maps for your Etrex, but if not I would recommend you have a look at the talkytoaster web site. Also, judging from previous posts, lots of other WH members use talkytoaster maps too - if you have any questions I'll try to help.
Dave
davidh

Postby jolly47roger » Wed May 24, 2017 12:53 pm

For maps, try a Google search on 'OS Opendata Garmin' - there may be something with more topographical detail than ones derived from Open Street Map.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk