walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What wee camping stove

What wee camping stove

Postby EmilyD » Mon May 22, 2017 8:50 pm

I had my eye on a Primus Gravity stove when we spotted this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUTAD-Outdoor- ... ping+stove

It's ridiculously cheap. Has anyone ever used one or heard of it?
EmilyD
Stravaiging

Munros:251   Corbetts:42
Donalds:6

Re: What wee camping stove

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 23, 2017 12:10 am

Sorry - don't know about that one - I use one of these which weighs around 100gr but isn't the same type - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Iainm » Tue May 23, 2017 1:43 am

Cant get ant wee'er that this wee stove.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camp-Stoves/ ... =brs+stove

Used it on two trips so far and its been spot on. I do only use it for boiling water though. You might want something with a bit wider burner head if you plan to cook on it.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby stalky14 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Never heard of that brand before.

The Vango compact gas stove Rockhopper suggested is good, I've used it on wild camping trips before.
And its around the same price from the usual big retailers like Tiso and Cotswolds.
stalky14
Mountain Walker

Munros:156   Corbetts:15
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby BobMcBob » Wed May 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Hmmm. Now the brand name isn't familiar to me, but it looks astonishingly exactly the same as a cheap Chinese one I bought from eBay a few short years ago and which is mysteriously no longer available. That one worked superbly.... for a year, until the thread on the gas valve stripped. It was aluminium, but I suspect it might have been made from milk bottle tops.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:58 am

Gas ones - I have a generic cheap eBay one that I cannot tell the difference between that and a Vango, I have a Edelrid Ti that is ace, and I think same as a Alpkit Kiro, son has one that sits off the cannister on legs from eBay.
They are all much of a muchness apart from weight and stability, and a home-made windscreen from disposable roasting tray works well...

As a left field couple of ideas:

I now use for non-winter trips the wonderful Speedster Stove - light, simple, stable and just *works*, and soooo much cheaper than gas to buy the stove and fuel it. I am a convert...sure, it takes a minute longer to boil - but so what, I am out in the hills, and have the time. All mine fits inside an AlpKit ti mug - fuel, lighter, stand, rest, stove, washkit, some coffee... :thumbup: You can see it to the left in this pic.
https://speedsterstoves.co.uk/combined-windscreens/pot-rests.html

ImageDunblane BB's DofE Silver Practice 2017 by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

I also have a Esbit Ti stove - it weighs 6g! Simple to use, with homemade windscreen. A bit wobbly, and the tabs stink so I double bag, but soooo simple and good even in cold. I think the speedster is better - but 6g! :clap:
ImageEsbit titanium stove by Matt Robinson, on Flickr
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby Robinho08 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Another vote for Speedster stoves, alcohol burners are so much cheaper, better for the environment as you don't have to worry about recycling the spent gas cannister and you can buy meths or bio ethanol in most DIY shops. I use mine in winter too.

No brainer!
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Iainm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:17 am

BobMcBob wrote:Hmmm. Now the brand name isn't familiar to me, but it looks astonishingly exactly the same as a cheap Chinese one I bought from eBay a few short years ago and which is mysteriously no longer available. That one worked superbly.... for a year, until the thread on the gas valve stripped. It was aluminium, but I suspect it might have been made from milk bottle tops.

A lot of products are cheap and Chinese these days. The above recommended Vango stove is just a rebranded Chinese stove by Fire maple http://www.dx.com/p/fire-maple-fms-103-outdoor-camping-stove-burner-silver-243798#.WTHtDMaZNBw

Alpkit stoves and cookware are almost all rebranded Fire maple too.

As for thread stripping, that can occur with any gas stove regardless of brand. The stove threads tend to be made from aluminium or brass, neither of which are going to win in a fight against the steel threads of a gas canister if cross threaded or over tightened.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk