walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Montane Minimus Stretch or Mountain Equipment Zeno Jacket

Montane Minimus Stretch or Mountain Equipment Zeno Jacket

Postby agrubb » Tue May 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi all, I am trying to choose between these two jackets and wondered if anyone had any experience with either of them? I have found plenty of reviews for the Montane and they are generally pretty good. I haven't been able to find any for the Mountain Equipment one so I'm just wondering if it is worth giving a chance around £40 less.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer :) :)

Andy
agrubb

Munros:219   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5

Re: Montane Minimus Stretch or Mountain Equipment Zeno Jacke

Postby BobMcBob » Tue May 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Can't comment specifically on the jackets but I've never owned anything made by Montane that I would purchase again. I had some gloves that literally fell apart after 2 months, and some trousers where the seams ripped on the second wearing. Their gear is very light and very clever but it's made from spider's webs and Pritt Stick. On the other hand my Mountain Equipment trousers have done sterling service in all weathers for several years and show no signs of wear.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby prog99 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Montane moved from using Event to Goretex recently so could be different unless there is old stock kicking around.

FWIW I've not experienced any of the issues mentioned above.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Waynemanor74 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:36 pm

IMG_20170708_133444.jpg
Hi. I bought the minimus stretch at the end of June this year. I've worn it once, 10hr, 20km hike up 2 munroes and a corbett in Arrochar.. 50-60 winds..
The jacket was great. I was dry and warm enough, with a few layers on under it. No issue with the wind, other than the coat hook tab inside, was getting whipped of the back of my neck by the wind blowing through.
My only issue is the bobbling in the photograph. This seems to have been caused on both sides of my waist by my rucksacks waist band. I'm considering seeing if I can get it swapped out for another, as that's one wear and is essentially damaged and stretched at this point.
Really pleased with it, apart from this issue.
Waynemanor74
Mountain Walker

Postby Robinho08 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:13 pm

I've never had any issues with Montane, my Terra Pants (Trousers) I've had since 2011 and still wear them now. Montane Prism jacket, Prism gloves and their Primino base layer top I've used for over two years, and all still in great condition.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but just in case you were put off by Montane. My Rab Strata hoodie has bobbled but still functions.

Both good brands, I'd try both on and go for what fits best imo.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk