walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Pork Scratchings

Pork Scratchings

Postby ClarenceBoddicker » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Maybe I'm just a pork scratchings fiend, but I've been wondering for a while why these aren't a recognised standard hiking/backpacking snack. They tend to have more calories/gram than peanuts, and almost double the protein, and they're deliciously porky (and amazing with beer, if chance allows). I'd have thought these would be up there with peanuts and trail mix, especially with gram counters, but they're rarely mentioned. What's the deal?
ClarenceBoddicker
Scrambler

Re: Pork Scratchings

Postby BobMcBob » Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 pm

I'd guess it has a lot to do with this:
hairy_pork_scratching_1.jpg

That's not food, it's industrial waste.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby ClarenceBoddicker » Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 pm

They don't normally look like that though, right? Even then, doesn't bother me. Is the reason that everyone is a massive wuss?
ClarenceBoddicker
Scrambler

Postby ClarenceBoddicker » Tue May 23, 2017 8:45 pm

I should strengthen my claim, by the way: I mean, when I say 'they don't normally look like that', I mean I've eaten a fairly comprehensive selection of pork scratchings in my life (I decided a while ago they were great and tracked down every variety I could find to establish the finest), and I have never seen one look even remotely as gross as that. They (almost) universally look completely innocuous.
ClarenceBoddicker
Scrambler

Postby BobMcBob » Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Well you may be the lucky one :) I don't know, I've encountered plenty like that, and I've always been aware of "urban legends" about hairy ones, toenails, eyelashes, etc turning up in them. I may be much older than you and standards have improved maybe?

There's also the fact they taste like the flaky bits that fall out of my socks after a long walk ;) :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby teaandpies » Tue May 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Probably because they taste rotten :sick:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby willsdad » Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 am

ClarenceBoddicker wrote:I should strengthen my claim, by the way: I mean, when I say 'they don't normally look like that', I mean I've eaten a fairly comprehensive selection of pork scratchings in my life (I decided a while ago they were great and tracked down every variety I could find to establish the finest), and I have never seen one look even remotely as gross as that. They (almost) universally look completely innocuous.

Don't leave us hanging. .....which are the finest? :shock:
I once mentioned to my in-laws that I liked pork scratching, so for my birthday they gave me a carrier bag full :lol: I'm sure I've still got some somewhere.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby Essan » Wed May 24, 2017 9:08 am

I love pork scratchings - with or without hairs :D and always take a packet or two on any multi day trips
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 am

Pork Scratchings? It'll be beer and skittles next. They're more of a Southern thing, like whippets and cucumber sandwiches. They taste awful, and look like the bits left over after a botched autopsy. They also remind me of my time working in a hospital burns unit - nothing to do with Ayrshire poets of the 18th Century. I'll stick to good Scottish food, like mashed sheeps lungs and various other organs mixed with barley, stuffed onto a knotted stomach and boiled until the cauldron melts.

Haggis.jpg
Normal Food.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby ClarenceBoddicker » Wed May 24, 2017 10:04 pm

Most supermarkets carry some brand or other. Oddly, the best selection is in Home Bargains. The best ones I've found are the below, which I managed to get in Home Bargains for cheaper than the fancier but inferior Waitrose and M&S ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=331688341 ... t=0&chn=ps
ClarenceBoddicker
Scrambler

Postby WalkingDutchman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:03 pm

BobMcBob wrote:There's also the fact they taste like the flaky bits that fall out of my socks after a long walk ;) :D

Now you have me wondering how you know what those flakes taste like....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually carry a few packs of beef jerky, with different flavors. Nice and chewy, almost 100% protein, and some of the flavors are real nice.

Oh, and whenever I can I have a massive helping of haggis, because I love that stuff. But I do not tend to carry it around, that's usually in restaurants when I've returned to what usually is known as civilization :D
WalkingDutchman
Wanderer

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:29 pm

WalkingDutchman wrote:
BobMcBob wrote:There's also the fact they taste like the flaky bits that fall out of my socks after a long walk ;) :D

Now you have me wondering how you know what those flakes taste like....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually carry a few packs of beef jerky, with different flavors. Nice and chewy, almost 100% protein, and some of the flavors are real nice.

Oh, and whenever I can I have a massive helping of haggis, because I love that stuff. But I do not tend to carry it around, that's usually in restaurants when I've returned to what usually is known as civilization :D

I don't know, Mcsween do a little haggis that keeps for a few days out of the fridge, and is a good meal for not much space/weight while camping I have found :)

Very 'on the fence' about beef jerky - while I recognise its nutritional merits, its dried to the point that it doesn't seem like real food for me :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby WalkingDutchman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:01 pm

basscadet wrote:I don't know, Mcsween do a little haggis that keeps for a few days out of the fridge, and is a good meal for not much space/weight while camping I have found :)

Oh! I'll have to look into that :D
Although I usually don't have much time for shopping (I prefer to get myself into the hills as quickly as possible after stepping off the plane - so usually not much time for shopping :wink: )
WalkingDutchman
Wanderer

Postby madprof » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:58 pm

teaandpies wrote:Probably because they taste rotten :sick:

They taste divine - salt and fat. What a combination.

Best had with a pint in your hand. They are staggeringly bad for you after all, so may as well accompany it with a beer to take away the thought of heart disease.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk