walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Outwell Tent

Outwell Tent

Postby phearnix » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Has anyone had any experiences with Outwell tents? I've just seen an Outwell Montana tent at a good price and wanted to know if anyone had a good experience with it. :?
phearnix

Re: Outwell Tent

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Have checked outwell website - montana seems to be a family tent, roughly the size of Fife. My own family camping used a 6 berth vango at less than one third the price of the Outwell. I am not a knowledgeable family camper, so it depends upon what you are looking for, but the vango seemed to suit us very well for years. I now have a laser competition because my family no longer like me.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby retrogear » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:16 pm

When I was looking for a family tent a three years ago I opted for a Vango. Price was a factor, but so was the design. I think that Outwell tents come from a holiday camp tradition - lots of daylight, thick aluminium poles, room to walk around and built in storage. The Vango tents feel like you are really camping though - dim sleeping compartments, bendy poles, good in strong winds. The kids can see the similarity between our family tent and my ancient two man tent and get quite excited about going on an adventure.
retrogear

Postby kerrera » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Scotjamie wrote:... I now have a laser competition because my family no longer like me.

That made me chuckle. When I was camping on Skye in August with my two youngest kids, 13 and 8, we spent 4 nights up at the Kinloch campsite in Dunvegan. A family arrived beside our pitch and out got dad, mum and two teenage lads about 15/16. I was waiting to see what nice family tent they were going to put up, and the two lads had a small Coleman each and mum and dad had a vango superlite 200. When I spoke to the parents about this arrangement, they said it gave them peace and quiet and the two lads, who constantly bickered and moaned, spent all their time in their respective tents glued to their DS's.

My 15 year old lass probably won't be seen in a tent again, and I don't really expect the 13 year old lad will be up for it for a few years now. It does however free up plenty of room for me and the youngest for a few years I hope. :D
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk