walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Blisters/meindl boots

Re: Blisters/meindl boots

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:24 pm

The Bhutan :)

I’ve had two pairs of Meindl Borneo which I think is the same fit as the Bhutan

The first pair, a size 8 blistered my heel quite badly at first but settled down once they were fully broken in. I found my foot moving about in the boot a little too much particularly on steep descents. Once I had worn those out, next pair were size 7.5, which held my heel much better but which pinched my toes. I suffered them for a year or so, but ditched them well before they were done.

Wide feet are common in the UK. But most of the boots on the market are standard or narrow in fit. What makes things worse is many boot manufactures are a bit random, to say the least, when it comes to stating fit and frankly most outdoor shop sales assistants don’t have a clue.

I’ve got two pairs of boots on the go at the moment, a pair of Altberg Tethera size 7.5 wide (they come in 5 widths and half sizes) and a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX size 8 which I’ve just broken in and seem to have plenty of room for my toes whilst holding my heel quite well.

You might yet get those boots to work for you, but if you do have wide feet then in the longer term it would be worth seeking out wide fit boots.

And if you have really weird feet Altberg can, for a price, make a personal last for you.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby prog99 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Aldobagginz wrote:Ive ordered a different insole for them which I will hopefully be able to try out this weekend, the insole that came with them is no good anyway!

I used an insole from an old pair of trainers that were pretty trashed. Allowed that extra bit of room for my feet and as the boot itself has a reasonable cushioned sole there was no discomfort.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby huwel2001 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:20 pm

In case you're still looking for a solution i'd recommend Engo patches which you'll find on Amazon, they solved all of my issues

They're just a plaster that sticks to your boot which provides a low friction surface

huwel2001
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Malkie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:23 pm

I always wear Meindl bhutan boots and i've never had a blister yet you have to break them in properly irecently did the penine way and i didn't have a blister or wet feet i was the only one.
Malkie
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Malkie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Malkie wrote:I always wear Meindl bhutan boots and i've never had a blister yet you have to break them in properly irecently did the penine way and i didn't have a blister or wet feet i was the only one.
Malkie
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk