walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Bathtub groundsheets - are they really necessary?

Bathtub groundsheets - are they really necessary?

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm about to buy a lightweight solo backpacking tent, and the favourite candidate is the Zephyros 2 on a performance/value for money/likely usage level basis. However, I see that it does not have a full bathtub groundsheet.

I once camped on a fairly gentle short-grassy slope on the shores of Loch Slapin on Skye in a tent with a bathtub groundsheet. Just as well: we had 12 hours of continuous heavy rain, with the result that the whole of the hillside became waterlogged and the groundsheet ended up semi-floating (though we remained dry inside). Hence my anxieties on this front.

However, I'm now a confirmed fairweather camper, so this may not be such an issue, since I will be planning to avoid sustained rain :roll: :roll: :roll:

I would really welcome any experience-based feedback on this.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Bathtub groundsheets - are they really necessary?

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Alteknacker wrote:since I will be planning to avoid sustained rain

Ha hahahaha good one! :D Best of luck with that.

Having spent a day in Snowdonia recently watching tents disappear, I'd say you need a full bathtub :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 pm

BobMcBob wrote:

Having spent a day in Snowdonia recently watching tents disappear, I'd say you need a full bathtub :D

Laughing from the shelter of your van, I guess..???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:25 am

You say you are a confirmed fair weather camper and modern weather forecasting is pretty good, so I'd say don't worry too much about it, your choice will do just fine.

You might also consider setting up an eBay search for Laser Comps. I picked one up in good condition for just slightly more than the cost of a new Zephyros
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:00 am

Alteknacker wrote:
BobMcBob wrote:

Laughing from the shelter of your van, I guess..???

I meant to say "need an *actual* bathtub", which hopefully makes the joke work...

Yes I was in the van but I wasn't laughing, I once spent an entire weekend at Glastonbury in a cheap tent without a bathtub groundsheet. It was one of the years where it rained, and rained, and rained. Actual mud was oozing through the floor by the end of day 2, it was horrible. So my experience is that if it rains a lot and you don't have a bathtub groundsheet, you're going to get very wet, your sleeping bag is going to get very wet, and you're going to get quite miserable*. I suppose it boils down to how confident you are of avoiding long spells of rain and how important the small weight saving is.

* if you're like me and don't like being wet.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:37 pm

You can go for the Zephyros for that truly backpacking, no room to move experience, but I went for the Force Ten Nitro Lite 200 plus :D Incredible room, extra large porch space which you don't have to climb over getting in and out, and weighs a smidgen over 1.7kg, the Zephyros 2 being 1.8kg.

I'm not sure if its still available but I picked mine up off eBay, as it wasn't that cheap new, but I got a bargain. But as always it depends on budget.

Its simple to erect, with 3 hoops of poles, and pitches with the inner and outer together, whereas the Banshee I had was inner first, but maybe not an issue now you're a fair weather camper :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Guinessman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:36 am

I would definitely go for a footprint. At 325g for the Zephyros 2 its not that much too carry and will protect your groundsheet from sharp objects and give it longer life.

I have the Laser comp 1 and always use the footprint. I find that the groundsheets on backpacking tents aren't up to much as they are light to get the weight down and if pitching on wet ground without a footprint it doesn't take much to get damp areas through the groundsheet when a bit of pressure is applied
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Additional groundsheets/footprints are a personal choice. But definitely not required. Never had damp come through and always check my pitch for stones etc.

If you must have a footprint, look at Tyvek. Cheap, tough and light.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:You say you are a confirmed fair weather camper and modern weather forecasting is pretty good, so I'd say don't worry too much about it, your choice will do just fine.

You might also consider setting up an eBay search for Laser Comps. I picked one up in good condition for just slightly more than the cost of a new Zephyros

Thanks for the tip. I did some searching for Laser Comps, but they all seem quite expensive at the moment....

spiderwebb wrote:You can go for the Zephyros for that truly backpacking, no room to move experience, but I went for the Force Ten Nitro Lite 200 plus :D Incredible room, extra large porch space which you don't have to climb over getting in and out, and weighs a smidgen over 1.7kg, the Zephyros 2 being 1.8kg.

I'm not sure if its still available but I picked mine up off eBay, as it wasn't that cheap new, but I got a bargain. But as always it depends on budget.

Its simple to erect, with 3 hoops of poles, and pitches with the inner and outer together, whereas the Banshee I had was inner first, but maybe not an issue now you're a fair weather camper :lol:

Thanks Spiderwebb (good to see you're still active, if not publishing any WRs :) ). I have looked at the Nitro Lite and it does look good - I like a bit of space; but to a Yorkshireman, it feels a tad expensive. I'll probably keep an eye open on Ebay for a while.

BTW I have a Banshee 3, and always erect it with the inner attached, no problem :?: . I guess they must have changed the design...

Guinessman wrote:I would definitely go for a footprint. At 325g for the Zephyros 2 its not that much too carry and will protect your groundsheet from sharp objects and give it longer life.

I have the Laser comp 1 and always use the footprint. I find that the groundsheets on backpacking tents aren't up to much as they are light to get the weight down and if pitching on wet ground without a footprint it doesn't take much to get damp areas through the groundsheet when a bit of pressure is applied

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I even managed to get a hole in my Banshee groundsheet. However, I've not suffered so far from water penetration, even camping on a bog. But I'll certainly consider that.

Robinho08 wrote:Additional groundsheets/footprints are a personal choice. But definitely not required. Never had damp come through and always check my pitch for stones etc.

If you must have a footprint, look at Tyvek. Cheap, tough and light.

Thanks for the advice. I also always carefully check my pitch, but I did get a hole in my GS due to a large flat stone level with the ground (heaven knows what I was doing in my sleep to cause a hole!). But it repaired easily enough with the Vango repair kit and joint sealant.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:56 pm

rather than buying a footprint which can be quite expensive why not use a cheapo roll mat under the groundsheet.
You can get one for as little as a fiver and it can be used under any tent and makes it a bit warmer underneath as well
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby basscadet » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:15 am

Yes I've always thought a footprint unnecessary - I have never used one and seem to get the 500 nights out of tents which I believe is about their life.. I do spray my groundsheet with fabsil universal protector every couple of years to keep it in tip top. I have 2 holes (cigarette burns :roll: ) in the groundsheet of our best used tent which I mended with shoogoo - it seems to work brilliantly for that kind of thing.

Bathtub groundsheets - depends on your skill on picking a spot - the flat bits are rarely the best! I make poor choices and find the bathtub essential :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:05 am

mrssanta wrote:rather than buying a footprint which can be quite expensive why not use a cheapo roll mat under the groundsheet.
You can get one for as little as a fiver and it can be used under any tent and makes it a bit warmer underneath as well

That's an interesting idea - I'll give it a try on a light expedition with the grandkids :)

basscadet wrote:Yes I've always thought a footprint unnecessary - I have never used one and seem to get the 500 nights out of tents which I believe is about their life.. I do spray my groundsheet with fabsil universal protector every couple of years to keep it in tip top. I have 2 holes (cigarette burns :roll: ) in the groundsheet of our best used tent which I mended with shoogoo - it seems to work brilliantly for that kind of thing.

Bathtub groundsheets - depends on your skill on picking a spot - the flat bits are rarely the best! I make poor choices and find the bathtub essential :lol:

That's what my instinct tells me also - but then other folk seem OK without... choices, choices...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk