walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Waterproofs

Waterproofs

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:41 pm

Remember when Goretex came out and was hailed as a new wonder material which would keep the wearer dry no matter how wet the weather? I've had a few Goretex jackets now and they each lasted a while then became as waterproof as a cotton shirt. Anyone out there have a Goretex jacket which kept its waterproofing, or re-proofed it successfully? I'm beginning to think the ancient mariner-style oilskins and sou'wester would be an improvement.
When I was an impoverished student I used to wear a lot of army-surplus stuff because it was cheap and durable.My winter apparel was a Canadian RAF great coat.Not so good as the coat tails tended to catch in my crampons. The army surplus helmet topped off the weird look. Back in the sixties hippy climbers used to wear old fur coats from charity shops. Anyone else out there wear anything unusual in the hills, perhaps a Roman Centurian's helmet and thigh-length fisherman's waders?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Waterproofs

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm beginning to think your profile pic is really of you :lol:
You can still buy ventile jackets, you know :)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Ventile?Is that the sort of tailed coat one would wear with a top hat?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:06 pm

:lol: It's a very closely-woven double-layed cotton fabric where the weave is actually almost waterproof. It was worn by early climbers and also the Antarctic Explorers (incidentally it is still very extensively used in the antarctic). Much more breathable than gore-tex and nice and soft.

http://www.snowsled.com/clothing/clothing_wilderness.htm

BUT as it doesn't repel water, it holds it near the outside and so becomes very heavy - though obviously that's not a problem in the Antarctic as it doesn't rain!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby mountain tortoise » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:09 pm

I do not use gortex any more either. I sweat at alot (excuse the image)and when gortex first came out they made such a thing of how breathable it was. Well it does not work for me, generally I am soaked when I were gortex I thought it was the jacket when i first got it but no, it just can not wick fast enough for me. So I do not use them. I were a Paramo Fuera windproof smock most of the time. If you treat then with nikwax regularly they are great for light rain and 'Scotch Mist'.
If it is raining in the summer I usually prefer to get wet unless I am treking or it is winter then I use a Paramo Velez Smock. I have also found that for me the best waterproof trousers are Regatta £10 ones they are very light and I do care if they get torn just get another pair.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:19 pm

So many people have recommended Paramo that I'm going to try it for my next jacket. There must be something in it!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Myth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Re Paramo, yeah - loads of my colleagues choose it as their PPE for hill work, but I've found them a bit warm.

I still own my first "real" outdoor jacket, a Buffalo Mountain Shirt, over-the-head pertex/pile, designed to be worn on its own, or with a base in winter. Apart from being too hot in summer it was probably the best clothing I've ever bought, gave me HUGE value for money, and worked for canoe and mountain bike too.

I now tend to wear a technical Tee, and then add a softshell - a heavy fleece ME one in winter, and an NF Apex in summer. These I'll stick to unless its pouring when I add a Haglofs Goretex shell and ME over trousers. The Shell was only out of the sack maybe five times last year... the trousers even less - says it all really.

When I was young I used to wear a Para smock - ventile - in the hills (hand me down from Dad), but by golly it got wet, cold and heavy in the rain!
Myth

Postby cjwaugh » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:03 pm

Just to say I ve owned three gortex jackets the first was a berghaus mera peak worst jacket i ever used the last was a light weight gortex pack light and it was not much better so i ve just bought a paramo anology jacket and will be trying it out on Saturday so let you know fingers crossed :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby mountain coward » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:31 am

LOL to the ventile spat at the beginning of this thread;-) It IS supposed to be good but is very expensive I believe...

Not sure of the answer really as I often wear identical jackets to Richard when I walk with him but, while he gets soaked, I stay dry - so I think it really is to do with internal heat. I especially think that as Richard is one of those who walks in nearly all his gear while I am minimal to say the least (although I carry everything I would need if I was benighted or whatever, I refuse to wear it!). So I'll be blasting up the hill in very little and only wear my outer if it's chucking it down, and then often only clipped over my shoulders as a cape - if I do put it on, it's very rare I have more than a light t-shirt under it. If it's only light rain or drizzle I prefer to get damp and then put it on after the climb - I soon dry out and never feel uncomfortable doing that.

I definitely find Goretex is useless for boots! I've never managed to have dry feet with goretexed boots!
mountain coward

Postby GarryH » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 am

I to sought advice on this forum see ( New Waterproof ) and went for the Paramo Alta II.Wearing a light jumper
underneath I had done 2 local walks of around 8 miles and noticed the lining had pilled.I contacted Paramo direct
and they replaced it immediately.I have since done 3 10 milers rucksack and all the last being on Kinder last
Saturday in drenching rain but remained absolutely dry and no pilling.So after a shaky start I to would recommend
Paramo.
GarryH

Postby BVCSK » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:01 pm

I bought a Berghaus Apex Goretex jacket(£99 from Go Outdoor) last year and mostly I am very impressed with it.
I have found that when it is tipping down and I am puffing and panting my way up a steepish hill(sweating like a ba****rd) then you do get a bit damp on the inside but not wet. The hood on this jacket is just brilliant but the week point as with most jackets is the cuffs. I think it is always going to be a balance between being too hot or dry.
In respect to goretex boots my Brashers have done well fording streams and crossing weirs and they have remained bone dry only when I went knee deep into a bog onSkye did I end up with soaking and stinky socks!!!

The best combination I have found is my Mountain Hardwear Synchro softshell (excellent DWR) and my Tilley hat. Keeps me dry, warm but not sweaty.

ps Yahoo the snow is back!!!!!
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Postby jester » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:16 pm

I've had a number of Georetex jackets, and I've been impressed with most of them. All have some plus/minus points, few jackets are perfect anyway. I'm sure if we were all to design our own ideal jacket, there would be a wide range of designs and features, with some features prioritised over others.
I think the important things are to vent yourself properly if you sweat, and to keep the jacket clean and reproof regularly.
Incidentally I have a goretex paclite jacket, and while it performs very well, is comfortable, has a good hood, well positioned pockets, and is lightweight, it is not very durable. Where the waist drawcord runs round, it has rubbed against my rucksack, and has worn right through.
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:43 pm

That's the same one i ve just bought i ll watch out for the pilling thanks :)
sugary wrote:I to sought advice on this forum see ( New Waterproof ) and went for the Paramo Alta II.Wearing a light jumper
underneath I had done 2 local walks of around 8 miles and noticed the lining had pilled.I contacted Paramo direct
and they replaced it immediately.I have since done 3 10 milers rucksack and all the last being on Kinder last
Saturday in drenching rain but remained absolutely dry and no pilling.So after a shaky start I to would recommend
Paramo.
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby mountain tortoise » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:21 pm

I have not had any problem with pilling on my paramo gear. I usually just were a Icebreaker cool wool t- shirt under my either my paramo fuera or velez. The t-shirt is great even if I do let my self get rained on I am never cold in the t-shirt and it dries out real quick.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Freewheelin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:57 am

Maybe I'm a wee bit of a weird shape or something (shut it Matt!), but every bit of Paramo gear I've tried on seems ill-fitting... a bit 'clingy' feeling too. Maybe it's just me?

p.s. Would highly recommend the Rab Vapour-Rise Stretch Top - excellent bit of kit!
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk