walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots: Lightweight and Waterproof?

Boots: Lightweight and Waterproof?

Postby stephk75 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:28 am

I'm in the market for a new pair of boots, but am finding that the more mountains I climb, the more bog I encounter - just can't get away from it! Therefore I am looking for waterproof boots, but on the lightweight end of the spectrum. I don't go on huge hikes - one day maximum, or two or three discreet days, but try to get in a couple of Munros each weekend.

So was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a pair of ladies walking boots which fit the above brief?

Thanks!
stephk75

Munros:21   

Re: Boots: Lightweight and Waterproof?

Postby mrssanta » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:57 pm

it's a tall order really
If you want lightweight you are looking at fabric boots so the waterproofing mainly comes from the goretex or sympatex liner. It's fine as far as it goes but once it goes, it's gone.
Leather boots are heavier but more reliably keep water out for longer if you look after them.
Apart from that it is all about fit - try them on for definite as it is very personal. if they don't fit well it doesn't matter how light they are you will get blisters and be miserable.
Or you could just do what some folks do and get trail shoes with drainage holes in - not really my style I have to say.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:07 am

Unfortunately the most important thing when buying boots is the fit. For this you will have to try on as many pairs as you can until you find the most comfortable. If it eventually comes down to a choice then decide on weight and waterproofing at that point not before. Hope that helps.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby imperialriot » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:03 pm

I recently bought a pair of Columbia's WOMEN'S DASKA PASS™ III OUTDRY™ EX BOOT - I've tested them out a couple of times now and I can stand in a puddle up to my ankles for minutes and no water gets through, the surface sheds water like a rubber boot but it's still quite breathable, they are also lightweight for such a sturdy shoe and very comfortable. :)
imperialriot
Scrambler

Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby ClarenceBoddicker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:08 am

Inov8 do a Goretex version of their Roclite 325 boot (which weighs 325 grams for a size 8). That's probably about as lightweight as you'll get, I think. The trade-off is that they're not the most durable boots in the world, so won't last quite as long as bigger, heavier boots.

I recently got the non-waterproof version. I haven't hiked in them a massive amount, but I have found them extremely comfortable and pleasant to walk in. I don't really mind getting my feet wet as long as they don't get blisters (which they don't in these) and don't get cold (which they don't if I'm moving about). It's also nice that your feet dry-out quickly if there's a dry spell.
ClarenceBoddicker
Scrambler

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:25 pm

In leather boots I've just bought a pair of Berghaus Hillwalkers, which are the lightest leather boot I've come across. Very nice and comfy, at least on me, and are Gore-Tex lined. I can attest to their bog-proofness :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Avocetboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:18 pm

I can fully recommend the Inov-8 Roclite GTX. I've used them for hill running and hiking. Light as a feather, fully waterproof, flexible and grippy.
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby kaiserstein » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Zamberlan ultralite were the comfiest lightweight leather boots Ive had untill soles went. Gtx liner too so very waterproof. I checked and there is a women's version.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 pm

kaiserstein wrote:Zamberlan ultralite were the comfiest lightweight leather boots Ive had untill soles went. Gtx liner too so very waterproof. I checked and there is a women's version.

That's what I was using before I bought my Hillwalkers. They were more comfortable for sure but the last 2 pairs I've had, the soles have gone and started leaking way before the tread was worn out, and the supplied insoles wore out within a few walks. They're significantly more expensive too. That said, if the Hillwalker's don't last well either I would go back to the Ultralites for the fit.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Postby 78basia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm

After today visit in shops, i agree with above, u need to try them, some of boots feel heavy,
But when put them on some feel very wierd,
Not flex enough or to wide or rub my ankle.

I saw hillwalker but not in big size only, not said bad, also try Scarpa and like them, but again not in my size.

I haven't see any of Columbia shoes in stock.

I might try my luck with online.

Also guy from shop recommend for me waterproofsocks as solution. As I said I more shoes person, don't like feeling of boots.
78basia
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Postby Robinho08 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:28 pm

BobMcBob wrote:In leather boots I've just bought a pair of Berghaus Hillwalkers, which are the lightest leather boot I've come across. Very nice and comfy, at least on me, and are Gore-Tex lined. I can attest to their bog-proofness :)

I bought a pair of them recently, one of the most comfortable boots I've worn and would suit the OP if they fit as they have flexible soles and are light for leather boots. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Scottk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 pm

I bought some Salomon XA pro 3d ultra mids which are pretty lightweight and waterproof. Very comfortable and so far I have covered about 300 miles and there is minimal wear. The only issue I have is that grit tends to get in quite easily if I am wearing shorts but I have some small gaiters for this.
Did the WHW this week and wore these most of the way-excellent for the muddy wet bits of which there was a lot! Covered 150 kilometres in 3 days with no blisters and dey feet! Just made sure to change my socks very afternoon.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby matt_outandabout » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm

We found mrs_oab a pair of North Face Hedgehog GTX boots in the Tiso sale this spring (£20 unboxed!) - so far meeting the 'big trainer but grippy and waterproof' brief nicely. She is finding the move away from a fairly rigid pair of Asolo leathers really good.
They are not going to last very long - they are light and comfy, not durable. At the price we paid however....
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby Coop » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Scarpa terra gtx's.
Light, comfy and waterproof- there in almost every outdoor shop for about 130.
If you do find a cheaper pair anywhere then go outdoors will price match them and take 10% off ( :wink: )
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:43 pm

An update on the Hillwalkers.

Gaiters are required in wet weather, as I found to my cost the other day - there's no rear ankle support at all and I think water gets in that way. I also now have a blister on my right heel - the first time in my entire life I've had blister on my foot, and my left knee is causing me great pain which is related I think to the awkward gait these boots make me use due to the stiff front ankle but no rear ankle support.

Back to the Zamberlans for me I think, I'm so unhappy with these now that I won't even wait for them wear out.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk