walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots: Lightweight and Waterproof?

Re: Boots: Lightweight and Waterproof?

Postby Stecky » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:34 am

Hi stephk75

I recently bought Asolo Falcon GV GTX fabric boots from Go Outdoors for Summer walking as my feet get a bit warm and I can wear these with light running socks so the comfort level is superb and they are about 980 grams.

I wore them this week at Beinn Narnain and Ime which were both very boggy and they were totally waterproof (gators on too). You get a lady's version and they also do a similar lightweight leather version called Asolo Thyrus GV GTX which might be worth a look for the same effect but better longevity.

They are made in Italy and are similar in last to Scarpa, they're not cheap but I'm very impressed with them so far. The only thing I would mention as did someone else is that light and fabric won't last as long as a more sturdy boot and they require regular cleaning and proofing, but for me they are worth it for the comfort. Also would say that the soles are Vibram Mega grip which are very grippy but again probably at the expense of longevity.

Enjoy what you finally choose!!

Colin.
Stecky
Munro compleatist

Postby cdutson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Being based in Warwickshire, I don't get to climb a lot of mountains but we certainly get plenty of wet and mud. I've had several pairs of Lowa Renegades which are very comfortable and keep the water out. The man at my walking shoes describes them as his 'get-out-of- jail' boots as he finds they will suit people who can't fitted with anything else. They are nu-buck which is just sanded leather but if you want the water repellency of leather give them a coat of Aquablock. I normally wear gaiters in wet weather. These aren't mountain boots but certainly suitable for hill walking and will last 2-3 years with twice weekly use.
cdutson
Bird-watcher

Postby Lournieloon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Bob, can I suggest you look at Altbergs Malham boot. It has a particular last that gives you a tighter heel cup, a bit of flex forward and mid sole arch support to improve a natural gait , Really comfy out of the box, I found they had really good grip on a 12 ,mile jaunt round Grisedale Pike and Grasmoor with a covering of snow, verging on icy on the steep bits but found I didn't my spikes. They are reasonable weight 672 gms size 9. Problem is they don't come cheap. :wink:
Lournieloon
Mountaineer

Postby Lournieloon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Bob, can I suggest you look at Altbergs Malham boot. It has a particular last that gives you a tighter heel cup, a bit of flex forward and mid sole arch support to improve a natural gait , Really comfy out of the box, I found they had really good grip on a 12 ,mile jaunt round Grisedale Pike and Grasmoor with a covering of snow, verging on icy on the steep bits but I found I didn't need my spikes. They are reasonable weight 672 gms size 9. Problem is they don't come cheap. :wink:
Lournieloon
Mountaineer

Postby Martinsimpson61 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 pm

I have worn Brasher leather boots for years and years......the same pair, even had them resoled. The problem with them as with many boots is they are not truly waterproof. I’ve now taken to wearing SealSkinz waterproof socks which work really well. I don’t bother with an inner pair of socks either now. The boots still need drying but the feet don’t!
Martinsimpson61
Munro compleatist

Munros:109   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:4

Postby Mylo73 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:39 am

It's a conundrum as mrssanta mentions regarding the trade off between lightweight & heavyweight versus waterproof.

My friends wife has the Anatom Women's V2 Lomond Light Hiking Boot:

She swears by them.

Shop around and you should find them for £80 or so.
Mylo73
Mountaineer

Postby Jasmine_21 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:01 pm

Coop wrote:Scarpa terra gtx's.
Light, comfy and waterproof- there in almost every outdoor shop for about 130.
If you do find a cheaper pair anywhere then go outdoors will price match them and take 10% off ( :wink: )

Have you used the scarpa terra for mountain hiking? How do they perform? I just got a pair, they are super comfortable, but I had some concerns regarding durability and performance for mountain hiking. I will climb a couple of munros this summer including Ben Nevis. The other option for me would be hi tec storm, which also feels comfortable.
Jasmine_21
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Postby simon-b » Sun May 09, 2021 2:59 pm

Scarpa Peak GTX, if they suit the shape of your feet. Nice and light for a boot that's also waterproof and robust. But remember, there's no such thing as a truly, fully waterproof boot (other than things like wellingtons). If you walk on the British hills regularly, it's hard to guarantee fully dry feet all the time.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk