walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Backpacking Packs for Wee Folk

Backpacking Packs for Wee Folk

Postby joshquigg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 am

Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of gear advice. I'm about 5'9 with a 30" waist and find with my current pack (it's a Berghaus 65+ litre jobby, forget the actual name) I'm constantly tightening up the hip belt which has to be as tight as possible to get it to sit on my hips properly which, whilst being annoying, also means a lot of the time the weight is on my shoulders rather than my hips as the hip belt just doesn't do up tight enough or stay done up. I know the answer is to go into a shop and have one fitted but I wondered if anybody has had the same issues and can recommend a good staring point for a pack for a slimmish gent? I can't be the only bloke not built like Arnold Schwarzenegger who like a stumble around the wild for a few days.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Josh
joshquigg
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:62   

Re: Backpacking Packs for Wee Folk

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 am

I'm 5'9" with a 32" waist, though it was 30", and 28" before that.

I've owned a lot of sacks and I've never found Berghaus sacks comfortable. I've settled on Osprey these days. I own an Osprey Aether 70 but quite fancied an Osprey Exos 56. Now I'm lusting after the new Osprey Levity 60.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby joshquigg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 am

Ben Nachie wrote:I'm 5'9" with a 32" waist, though it was 30", and 28" before that.

I've owned a lot of sacks and I've never found Berghaus sacks comfortable. I've settled on Osprey these days. I own an Osprey Aether 70 but quite fancied an Osprey Exos 56. Now I'm lusting after the new Osprey Levity 60.

The Levity does look nice, Osprey may be the way to go. I have a 38l Kestrel and love it so I'll have a look at their bigger packs, thanks for the help!
joshquigg
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:62   

Postby mmill » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm

Have you tried a bag that is more aimed at ladies? They can be a better fit for slimmer men.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk