walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gold Star to Garmin

Gold Star to Garmin

Postby davidh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:22 pm

I contacted Garmin support to check if they could supply a replacement part after the D ring that closes the battery compartment on the back of my GPS broke off.
Much to my surprise and delight, not only did they send me a replacement part (a new back), they did so completely free of charge - not even charging for postage or packing.
Since I've had the GPS (Etrex 30) for quite a few years, this was excellent service. Thank you Garmin.

P.S. Other walkers may do what I have done up to now and put a cord through the D ring to secure it to their belts, to prevent the unit (or at least the back :) ) from falling inadvertently and getting lost. However, with hindsight, I suspect this may have contributed to the problem. It's best to get a lanyard that threads through the intended small retaining holes at the GPS base.
davidh

Re: Gold Star to Garmin

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:43 pm

You can get a piece that clips to the back very securely, it has a small piece of webbing with a sustained type clip, no need to use the wee D ring :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby rgallie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:38 am

Yeah I use the Garmin carabiner belt clip with a bit of parachord tied to the carabiner. The other end of the parachord tied at the top of my rucksack shoulder strap and the carabiner hooked on to a loop on the shoulder strap.

Prior to that I used the Garmin velcro shoulder strap attachment but it wasn't a good fit with the case for the GPS.

If you wan to carry it on your waist you can get a few different attachments, the carabiner one can be hooked onto a belt loop (which is what I did for a while)
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:21 pm

The karabiner clip can be too good as I can never remember which way it comes off to change batteries and it's a stiff fit....which is good :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk