walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

New Alt Berg Boots

New Alt Berg Boots

Postby BVCSK » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:07 pm

I knew I was going to need to replace my trusty Brashers this year and this decision was hastened by the fact that during our walking holiday to Austria a small sliver of stone found it's way into my left boot and cut through the Goretex liner.

I had already looked at a number of boots and read several reviews and thought that I would just go to the nearest outlet for a pair of Meindl Burma Pro's. Alas when trying on in a serious fashion I realised that they were too narrow around my toes and this was repeated with almost every other boot I tried on, and I tried on hunners!!

I then came across a British boot maker called Alt Berg who do a variety of boots for the army, police, security, motorcyclists and of course hillwalking.

They have a very informative website where you can view various models. They have a range that are distributed through select retailers and another range for purchase via there website or from their factory at Richmond in Yorkshire.

Boots are available in narrow, wide and extra wide fittings or fully custom fitted. The full monty custom fitted boot would be an astonishing £1000+ including £540 for your own last that can be used again for any other boots you may require.

With the kids back to school and my university return date more than a week away I decided on a wee trip on my motorbike to the factory to ensure an exact fit. The trip was 2 nights at the Great Langdale campsite to climb Side Pike and Lingmoor Fell then of to Malham Cove in Yorkshire to do the Cove - Gordale Scar - Gordale bridge - Janets Foss - Lismore Arms(Malham) a fitting swansong for my Brashers. The next day was home to Glasgow via the factory.

I was thoroughly measured for length and width both weighted and un-weighted and told that I was a size 8 extra wide. I chose their Langdale model which is the stiffest they do with a 3/4 season rating and is certainly stiff enough for a flexi crampon. At £147 with 2 tins of Ledergris wax included these certainly compare well to other similar brands.

The result is a brilliant pair of boots that had their first outing onSaturday on An Socach. I fitted a Superfeet insole into the left boot as it is half a size smaller than the right and all appears fantastic.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/index.
jsp
045.JPG
At the end of their first Munro ( An Socach)
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Re: New Alt Berg Boots

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:15 pm

a friend at work has a pair of these and swears by them - oddly enough I have Meindl Burmas as I have a very wide foot but had to go up a half size (still experimenting with different insoles)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Happy Tramp » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 pm

I bought a pair of these and the waterproof lining split after a year. My advice is not to buy boots with a Goretex lining because it is a clear sign that the leather on its own is too thin for protection against the wet.
Scarpa SL M3 and a good wax is the the business!
Happy Tramp
Mountaineer

Postby murwilson » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:05 pm

I have a pair of 'military' alt bergs, over 12 years old and relegated to garden duties now but still going strong.

Encouraged to see they do hill walking boots now, I may just take a look when a new pair is needed.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Mur
murwilson

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk