walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boot/Footsore Advice

Boot/Footsore Advice

Postby Ibex » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:30 pm

I've had some old Karrimor KSB's ,that have seen a lot of use and abuse over the past few years.
They have been with me up Killimanjaro and all over the Lakes and Wales. But now have a hole in them and the soles are beginning to loosen from the boots too. So I need some new boots and thought I would turn to you guys for advice.

I'm very reluctant to go back to Karrimor boots now that they were taken over by Sports Direct (or whoever). Worried about the quality suffering.
So i'm look for suggestions on alternatives. They will be used for plain hill walking and scrambling, in summer, autumn and spring. No crampons or anything.

My other concern is that I tend to get pretty footsore and i'm going to Scotland for 11 days of walking with a friend, who is going to kill my legs and feet (but in the best way possible). So any advice on ways to combat footsoreness would be appreciated too.

Cheers.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Boot/Footsore Advice

Postby Gythral » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:34 am

Go into a good outdoor shop and try everything on, preferably late on in your day, as fit is the key!
What suits one, may not suit another, so find a pair that suits you.
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:20 pm

I went through a couple of pairs of the old (proper) Karrimor KSBs over the years.

I've tried a few other fabric boots since, but none quite fitted me or were as comfortable. They seem to have more leather or too much padding round the ankles, which just rubs. In the end I went into Sports Direct and bought some of their new "Karrimor" KSBs for £39.99 (50% off). These have been absolutely fine and almost as good as the old KSBs. The only drawback is they have round laces which keep coming undone, but most boots seem to have those nowadays for some unaccountable reason.

So I'd say it's worth trying the Sports Direct version, if you can overlook the exploitation of the workers.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby simon-b » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:12 am

Ibex wrote:
My other concern is that I tend to get pretty footsore and i'm going to Scotland for 11 days of walking with a friend, who is going to kill my legs and feet (but in the best way possible). So any advice on ways to combat footsoreness would be appreciated too.

Cheers.

If A.J. kills your legs and feet on Ben Hope and Ben Klibreck, let me buy you a pint in Altnaharra that night. That should ease your footsoreness.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Ibex » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Sounds like a good deal to me!
As long as I can buy you one back. Looking forward to the trip though. Should be quite the adventure.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk