walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

I'm considering Wild Country Sololite 1 Man Tent

I'm considering Wild Country Sololite 1 Man Tent

Postby TheMunroMan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:29 pm

I want a tent that's cheap, light and functional. I've seen the sololite, watched the vids and it looks like the right piece of kit, for the price, to do a spot of wild camping in.

Anyone got any thoughts on this tent or another?
TheMunroMan

Munros:6   Corbetts:2

Re: I'm considering Wild Country Sololite 1 Man Tent

Postby amuffin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi

I have a Hilleberg Acto. I've not found it wanting even in the most testing weather. I would recommend it. Some of the cheaper 'competition tents' have weak zips, and they are not intended to last long anyway as they will be replaced by a new tent a few grams lighter next season.
amuffin
Mountaineer

Munros:9   
Hewitts:89
Wainwrights:6   

Postby kerrera » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:10 pm

I've a vango helium 200. I bought it because of it's weight.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby davelancs » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:37 am

I've got an Akto too , but it weighs only slightly less than the Sololite and costs nearly three times as much. Not everyone wants a bombproof tent. Can nobody help with the sololite?
If I were buying now I would be taking a careful look at the Vango heliums.
davelancs
Stravaiging

Munros:197   Corbetts:15
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:193
Wainwrights:211   

Postby TheMunroMan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:50 pm

just checked out the Hilleberg Akto Tent - whooooo that's a lot of money £325 british pounds too be precise. Any other suggestions? I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a simple task!

I plan to use the tent a lot and for a good few years, if this really is the best option then I will just have to pony up the money : )
TheMunroMan

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Worth surfing around but I got tent crazy last year trying to work out the best option - one can look too hard!!
One friend vouches for this tent - wild country a good name. I love my laser comp but would see £129 for the sololite as a reasonable buy for general hiking and camping.
http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/Wild+Country/Tents/Sololite/1059/pc
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby davem » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:31 pm

If money is tight try the Tiger Paws. I bought one from Argos about 5 yrs ago, cost about £20. Still going strong. Just bought another off fleabay for £30 but don't think there are any remaining from the seller, so it could be a case of just keeping an eye out. Packs small, fairly light weight, not as light as a laser comp etc, but a fraction of the price :D Seriously great little tent for buttons.
davem
Stravaiging

Postby shaunthefish » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Got a Sololite this year for some wild camping, very easy to put up even in the dark with a good gale blowing.Seems pretty watertight, spent a week around Torridon with no weather problems. One thing is it has no room for cooking, just enough to lie down, all my cooking was outside which made for some choice language in the rain. I am looking to move to a Duolite as the price is much the same for a lot more space and only slightly heavier,,I don't camp ultralight so not too bothered about the weight
shaunthefish
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Postby TheMunroMan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Hmm that's good to know. I think room for cooking is pretty much a must, for me at least, maybe I should increase the budget! Any more suggestions?
TheMunroMan

Postby Belgian_Hiker » Mon May 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi
Have a look at Vaude Taurus Ultralight - I have the power version and I'm very impressed with it. Used it in winter 2 nights (minus 18 and minus 12) with 30cm of snow overnight, on top of some of the vosges mountains in france last month and it proved a great shelter with lots of space and room to cook in the porch.
Check out ebay and I'm sure you'll pick up a bargain !
Belgian_Hiker
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Vick1 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:48 pm

My mate bought a Sololite and like the other post bought a Duolite almost straight afterwards as it was a bit small. If your petite :D its a canny tent. I had a look at the Duo and was well impressed !
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby Scott Mackay » Fri May 13, 2011 11:33 pm

I just spent the night camped up the Humphrey forest in the Old Kilpatrick hills, mid-storm, in my new 2011 Vango Banshee 200 :D Great little lightweight tent, waterproof too, all for under a big note :D

Get it from here if you get one, great price PLUS great service, i got my tent, mat, sleeping bag from here and they seem to be spot on :D

http://www.outdoorgear4u.co.uk/category ... -model.php
Scott Mackay
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk