walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking boots and the Holy Grail

Re: Walking boots and the Holy Grail

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Altberg do seem to be what I need. Wide or Extra wide i reckon will be a must though. Is there a decent model I should look into? Won't need them hard enough for crampons but decent ankle support is a must, more than what a fabric boot can offer.

Check out their web site - http://www.altberg.co.uk/

They have quite a comprehensive range now. They do a number of different lasts, some of which are available in the 5 widths. They do boot fitting at the factory if you fancy a trip doon tae Yorkshire, and if you have particularly unusual feet they can even, for a price, make you your own unique last.

Bear in mind that a good fitting fabric foot will offer your ankle much better support than a poor fitting leather boot.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PaulD » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:00 am

Ive also got a pair of the scarpa boots and had them for several years in all conditions and their brilliant, previous boots being made by Raichle (forget which ones) and lasted for years. Allways gone for full leather and not that bothered about gortex lining, if its full thick leather i'm quite happy polishing them to protect them.

BUT with boots, everyone's feet are different so I think it kind of makes reviews pointless, unless theres some inherent general flaw in a particular boot. My feet (heels in particular) are odd shape so i always relay on a good boot shop where they will fit them properly and let you try them out
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:98   

Postby FleetwoodHack » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
Altberg do seem to be what I need. Wide or Extra wide i reckon will be a must though. Is there a decent model I should look into? Won't need them hard enough for crampons but decent ankle support is a must, more than what a fabric boot can offer.

Check out their web site - http://www.altberg.co.uk/

They have quite a comprehensive range now. They do a number of different lasts, some of which are available in the 5 widths. They do boot fitting at the factory if you fancy a trip doon tae Yorkshire, and if you have particularly unusual feet they can even, for a price, make you your own unique last.

Bear in mind that a good fitting fabric foot will offer your ankle much better support than a poor fitting leather boot.

The problem isn't the fit around the ankle, that's the good thing about the leather boot! I need the ankle support.

The problem is how hard they are on the bottom, causing really bad fatigue when walking on well maintained paths. So i'm trying to get the support from leather boots without the achingly tough souls. I'll keep the Scarpas for winter as i'll need the stiff boot but I need something softer for the rest of the year while still offering decent ankle support.
FleetwoodHack
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Fiona Reid » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:27 pm

FleetwoodHack wrote:The problem isn't the fit around the ankle, that's the good thing about the leather boot! I need the ankle support.

Another possibility is to get your weak ankle sorted out so you have more options in what footwear your can wear?

A decent physio should be able to help. From your profile picture you look awfully young to be needing to strap up or encase your your ankle in stiff boots forevermore.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby FleetwoodHack » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Fiona Reid wrote:
FleetwoodHack wrote:The problem isn't the fit around the ankle, that's the good thing about the leather boot! I need the ankle support.

Another possibility is to get your weak ankle sorted out so you have more options in what footwear your can wear?

A decent physio should be able to help. From your profile picture you look awfully young to be needing to strap up or encase your your ankle in stiff boots forevermore.

Sadly it's an ongoing injury from years gone by. Even if I get it sorted i'll still want to keep my right ankle in something that won't let it go sideways.
FleetwoodHack
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Fiona Reid » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:42 pm

FleetwoodHack wrote:
Sadly it's an ongoing injury from years gone by. Even if I get it sorted i'll still want to keep my right ankle in something that won't let it go sideways.

Ah, fair enough. I sprained mine (grade 2 tear) in May but thankfully whilst blooming sore it was stable and thus I was advised to wear boots for at least 6 weeks whilst walking etc. Now 3 months on it's 99% ok and absolutely fine in trail shoes etc. I still have some residual stiffness but hopefully that will go with time.

When it was recovering I wore a combination of Meindl Burma MFS Pro or Scarpa R-Evo Trek GTX. The Meindls are full leather but not as evil stiff as an SL etc. The modern version is the Bhutan and they are pretty much the same fit. The Scarpa's are fabric boot with a sock fit around the ankle and I found them very comfy and supportive when my ankle was still sore etc.

Fingers crossed you find something comfy :)
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby jamesan89 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Doesn't seem like Altberg need any more recommendations but I use the Nordkapp, very impressed by the quality / warmth / waterproofness even when going through bogs and stream all day! Previously had Meindl Bhutan which fell apart after less than a year!
jamesan89
Mountain Walker

Munros:255   Corbetts:32
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk