walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Another What GPS Question

Another What GPS Question

Postby CharlesT » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Apologies in advance for asking what may have been answered oft before, but I don't really want to search all the related threads.

My Garmin GPSmap 60CSx has finally expired after many years of prolonged abuse and I'm looking for a suitable replacement. I map out my own routes on a pc and upload them with waypoints and feature markers, such as summits and tops. Needs to be able to store up to 20 at a time. Largish screen and zoom feature a must as my eyesight is getting worse. Changeable batteries, not just rechargeable and virtually indestructible are essential.

Prefer a stand alone unit rather than to use my phone which I keep for emergencies. Don't mind paying more for a quality product.

Happy if someone can just point me where to look.

Thanks.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Another What GPS Question

Postby gaffr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:11 am

Don't think that you could go wrong with the models produced after your 60's series. 64 series maybe.
Looks to same the same body as your 60 and the one that I use the 62sc....but that is like your 60 out of production.
Push button controls....none of that swiping stuff to do.....I'm not sure how these things work when out in the elements etc.
I don't have much to do with the extra programs that look after data and stuff.
For me a few Waypoints taken and loaded up from Memory Maps on screen to the device and I am happy....always the nearest Waypoint is shuffled? to the top of the list of Waypoints on the device list of these.
Don't need much else?
Oh, the 64 has the ability to use the Glonass satellites
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby CharlesT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 am

gaffr wrote:Don't think that you could go wrong with the models produced after your 60's series. 64 series maybe.
Looks to same the same body as your 60 and the one that I use the 62sc....but that is like your 60 out of production.
Push button controls....none of that swiping stuff to do.....I'm not sure how these things work when out in the elements etc.
I don't have much to do with the extra programs that look after data and stuff.
For me a few Waypoints taken and loaded up from Memory Maps on screen to the device and I am happy....always the nearest Waypoint is shuffled? to the top of the list of Waypoints on the device list of these.
Don't need much else?
Oh, the 64 has the ability to use the Glonass satellites

Thanks Gaffr. I think you're right, I had a look at Garmin units and the 64s looks pretty similar to my old 60 and I guess is equally rugged and easy to use. Agree that buttons are a better option than screen swiping which is s bit awkward in winter gloves. Learning curve should be quite flat too, which helps at my age. Found it with full UK maps for £350 which is a lot less than I paid for my 60 years back, so I'll be going for that. So, question answered, think I just needed reassurance really.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby gaffr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 am

Hello,
Something that I was not quite prepared for was that when I take Waypoints from the 1:25,000 maps that I also have on the PC it won't transfer these to the 64 device......a grid ref. is surely the same whether on a 1:50,000 map or on a 1:25,000 map but not for Garmin when it just will embrace MM stuff of the same RF as on the map loaded up on the device?
Would have been useful for more accuracy when homing in on a feature to store on the device. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby CharlesT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:46 am

gaffr wrote:Hello,
Something that I was not quite prepared for was that when I take Waypoints from the 1:25,000 maps that I also have on the PC it won't transfer these to the 64 device......a grid ref. is surely the same whether on a 1:50,000 map or on a 1:25,000 map but not for Garmin when it just will embrace MM stuff of the same RF as on the map loaded up on the device?
Would have been useful for more accuracy when homing in on a feature to store on the device. :)

Agreed, no difference. I use memory map too in the 1:25000 format, which I find easier to use when setting up routes on a pc, less clutter and easier to read if you print out your routes in A4 size, which I do. Just bought the 64s so I'll have to see how it goes. I now generally load summits as specific grid references, a practice I adopted after walking in overlapping circles trying to find the top of Ben Oss in heavy clag. :roll:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk