walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

sorel snow boots for walking?

sorel snow boots for walking?

Postby 78basia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi,
I got marrel sieren gtx shoes, get them for a first walk around and get back wet. It's wet and boggy on ground. Jumping over puddle. Leaks on paths. I try my best to avoid deep water. But it happened, I got wet feet.
Is gore Tex not working in Scottish rainy whether?!

So I'm looking now on sorel boots, as they nice waterproof wellies style , especially around toes.
What's Ur opinion about that Idea?

I need them for a one day walks. Especially now nothing extreme, more flat walks around then tops. Need company to do more challenging stuff.
Thx.
78basia
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Re: sorel snow boots for walking?

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:00 pm

78basia wrote:So I'm looking now on sorel boots, as they nice waterproof wellies style , especially around toes.
What's Ur opinion about that Idea?

They will likely keep your feet dry but be way too hot (except in winter). Goretex-lined leather boots would be the conventional solution. Wearing gaiters may help, too.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby davekeiller » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Chances are that water is getting in from around the tongue or ankles. A pair of higher cut walking boots would probably keep your feet drier, and gaiters might also help.
Sorel look like they are fashion boots and not likely to be very good for walking, but I'm not familiar with the brand and therefore can't advise.
Best thing is to go into an outdoor shop and tell them what you want to wear the boots for, and try on several pairs until you find something that fits your feet and is suitable for intended use.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby 78basia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm

After visit at shop, I try one of sorel ( not exactly my pick model) and they feel bit havy. I'm guessing it's ok for flat walks. Not a lot of grip.

I try other boots and I'm might pick up soon Scarpa terra gtx. ( In general I try at least 10 different pairs) .
Also like how Oboz java fit, me but not sure how waterproof will be.

Thx for opinion.
78basia
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk