walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hiking Boots: ankle height, waterproof, light, good traction

Hiking Boots: ankle height, waterproof, light, good traction

Postby MadWalker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to purchasing hiking and walking boots and would appreciate some advice on getting the perfect walking/ hiking boot, please.

I recently purchased what I thought was a great boot which was ankle height, waterproof, light, and supposedly with good traction; however, when I tried testing them walking about outside (after I purchased them), they were super slippy on slightly wet tarmac - even my normal day-to-day shoes have better traction than this. I was quite disappointed since they were perfect until I tried wearing them outside.

So I was wondering if anyone with good walking boot brand knowledge (for ladies/ unisex) would be able to advise me on where I could find a boot that is of ankle height, waterproof, light to wear (not heavy leather that I can't walk in easily but I'll consider some), with good traction, and a decent price. Preferably around £50 but higher wouldn't be too much of an issue for the perfect boot.

Any advice that anyone could give (even just good places to look for reliable walking boots) would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)
MadWalker

Re: Hiking Boots: ankle height, waterproof, light, good trac

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:18 pm

I think the problem is your price limit. £50 is very cheap for a pair of good walking boots and you do get what you pay for - to an extent anyway. I'd expect to pay in the region of £120 upwards, from a good outdoor retailer who will advise and let you try them on. There are a lot of budget brands and budget retailers out there but boots are so important they're worth spending some money on. A good pair will outlast a cheap pair anyway, so it evens out in the long run.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Strangely, I have had several types of Merrell shoe, which gripped perfectly well anywhere I walked in the countryside, whatever the surface, but were flipping lethal on wet pavements. I'd try them in the countryside before writing them off. What make were they?

The price point may come into it, better rubber will be a more expensive component.

I was in a Decathlon store the other day, and thought the sole units on their footwear generally seemed pretty good for the prices they were, but I have no other experience of them. I've found Decathlon brands, like Quechua, to be generally high performance for the price you pay.

More important than price, though, is fit.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby davekeiller » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:40 pm

the £50 price point is very limiting. Perhaps go to Blacks/ Millets and look at the Peter Storm range? Or hi-Tec?
If you can afford a bit more, then I've found Berghaus and Scarpa to be good, and Salomon seem quite popular, too - maybe there'll be something in the sale.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk