walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

os maps

os maps

Postby islayhawk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Looking to upgrade my gps. After years of using my etrex (yellow basic) I have decided to ugrade to one with os maps but absolutey no disgrace to the basic garmin which has been fantastic.
My question is - when using the 1:50k os map on a garmin does the map lose much resolution when zooming in and also what basic model capable of taking os map of scotland would readers recommend
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Re: os maps

Postby StevieC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:34 pm

I use a Garmin GPSMap 64 which came with OS 1:50k and I never had any issues with losing resolution as I zoomed in.

I'm using the past tense because unfortunately I lost the micro SD card that the mapping was stored on - presumably while I was changing batteries out on the hills somewhere. I still use the unit for recording walks but I miss the mapping, even though I always have the "real" map in the backpack just in case.
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:6
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:21 pm

This is all I need or want ~

Sea Chart#2.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Essan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:This is all I need or want ~

Sea Chart#2.jpg

But that only shows Caithness and some foreign places .... :P
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Grahams:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby tmtribe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:35 pm

islayhawk wrote:Looking to upgrade my gps. After years of using my etrex (yellow basic) I have decided to ugrade to one with os maps but absolutey no disgrace to the basic garmin which has been fantastic.
My question is - when using the 1:50k os map on a garmin does the map lose much resolution when zooming in and also what basic model capable of taking os map of scotland would readers recommend

Hi,

I use a GPSmap64s with talkytoasters maps downloaded on to it, I have found them brilliant in the lake district fells and they easily hold up to OS maps at a fraction of the price.
tmtribe
Mountain Walker

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk