walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

os maps

os maps

Postby islayhawk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Looking to upgrade my gps. After years of using my etrex (yellow basic) I have decided to ugrade to one with os maps but absolutey no disgrace to the basic garmin which has been fantastic.
My question is - when using the 1:50k os map on a garmin does the map lose much resolution when zooming in and also what basic model capable of taking os map of scotland would readers recommend
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Re: os maps

Postby StevieC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:34 pm

I use a Garmin GPSMap 64 which came with OS 1:50k and I never had any issues with losing resolution as I zoomed in.

I'm using the past tense because unfortunately I lost the micro SD card that the mapping was stored on - presumably while I was changing batteries out on the hills somewhere. I still use the unit for recording walks but I miss the mapping, even though I always have the "real" map in the backpack just in case.
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:21 pm

This is all I need or want ~

Sea Chart#2.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Essan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:This is all I need or want ~

Sea Chart#2.jpg

But that only shows Caithness and some foreign places .... :P
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby tmtribe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:35 pm

islayhawk wrote:Looking to upgrade my gps. After years of using my etrex (yellow basic) I have decided to ugrade to one with os maps but absolutey no disgrace to the basic garmin which has been fantastic.
My question is - when using the 1:50k os map on a garmin does the map lose much resolution when zooming in and also what basic model capable of taking os map of scotland would readers recommend

Hi,

I use a GPSmap64s with talkytoasters maps downloaded on to it, I have found them brilliant in the lake district fells and they easily hold up to OS maps at a fraction of the price.
tmtribe
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk