walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear Choice (Help)

Gear Choice (Help)

Postby MunroMadMen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:27 pm

I was planning on picking up a new set of waterproof trousers & was looking at Berghaus Paclite however came across Mountain Equipment Ibex Softshell trousers which are real class looking with a high degree of water repellency. Stuck as to which pair to purchase.... suggestions please??
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Gear Choice (Help)

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Berghaus Deluge for me - maybe not as breathable as some but they are pretty robust and they do have full length two way zips and stud fastenings for ease of access - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Challum » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:24 pm

ME Ibex trousers are supremely comfortable but not waterproof. I love them.
Challum

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 pm

I’d say they are two different things. Trousers and waterproof over trousers. The softshell trousers might be water resistant but they ain’t waterproof.

I like my Montane Terra Pants, they are water resistant, tough, very light and dry quick. I wear them all year round, just in winter I’ll wear Merino long johns under them.

I also carry Berghaus Paclite over trousers. They have zips right up to your thigh so they are easy to get in and back out of with boots on, or well as easy as it’s gonna get I think. They are super light at less than 200 grams and above all else they are waterproof. Probably not the toughest but I’ve had good use out of mine so far. Also pack down so small you can stick em in your jacket pocket if you are out for an evening walk - come in a variety of lengths and are relatively inexpensive.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks much appreciated, after a bit more digging in and going by the comments i will probably go with the Berghaus Paclite, thanks for the replies ;)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Kilts2.jpg
Kilts : when trousers just don't cut the mustard
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:10 pm

I've had a pair of Berghaus Paclites for a few years now and they're still going strong. Most importantly they keep me dry too.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk