walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin 64 help please

Garmin 64 help please

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Bought myself a Garmin 64 GPS and slightly confused tbh and wonderd If members on here might be able to help
PS I’m a complete technophobe tbh

Got it up and running
SD 1:50 OS mapping inserted
SD card enabled
WH routes all download and waypoints all show on the screen with alarms working when I hit the waypoints

My issues are this

1 For some reason when I zoom in or out it always seems to default back to 50 meters I’ve tried pushing the enter button after I push in or out am I missing something

2 The WH route and waypoints are as clear as day but the rest of the screen is fuzzy and it doesn’t seem to show any contour lines

Thanks in advance Gammy Leg Walker
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Garmin 64 help please

Postby Wanderer Gaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:45 am

Re the fuzzy screen, I think you might just be finding the resolution limit of the garmin. Compared to what we're all used to with modern mobiles it's pretty woeful to be honest! It is however fit for purpose whilst using the 1:50k maps, I've read that it can be an issue whilst trying to see the detail on a 1:25k map. Can't personally comment on that though as I find the 1:50k sufficient for pretty much every where in Scotland other than maybe the Cuillins.

With regards to zoom range on the map, the unit does default back after you zoom unless you bring up the pointer with the directional keypad. It will then stick to whatever zoom you select.

It has a secondary effect of no longer autocentering your position on the screen though so your position will move, ie the annoyingly large blue arrow will move. Rather than unit keeping your position central and moving the map with the blue arrow remaining central :crazy:

I like the gpsmap64 but like most garmin products it takes a little bit of time to get used to :wink:
Wanderer Gaz
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk