walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots, advice sought

Boots, advice sought

Postby xillent » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:50 pm

I recently bought a pair of Meindl Bhutan. My third pair of Meindl boots. However they crippled me on the coast to coast. juts below the wee bit that stick out of my ankle, a large crease appeared and left me in serious pain with every step. I'm not new to long distance walks having done about 15 or these at least. Anyhoo, I returned the boots and got a credit note. Now I don't know what to buy. Obviously not keen on buying Meindl again. Fancied Scarpa Delta? but every single pair of boots I inspected had a "baggy" goretex sock. Surely this cant be right and will cause blisters. Has anyone any advice on this?
Talking to one of the staff in a different store revealed that they are encouraged to wear the different boots to try them out. I did notice that the original pair of Meindl were a wee bit creased around the flex point as if they'd been worn. Didn't think much about it at the time but I wonder now if they'd been moulded into the shape of someone elses foot. I'd already worn the boots before embarking on the C2C so it's not as if they weren't broken in. Havent had this problem with Meindl ,or any boot for that matter, before.
xillent
Mountaineer

Munros:11   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Boots, advice sought

Postby mrssanta » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 am

I don't think it is every possible to recommend a particular boot without trying them on. Sizes are only a guide and everyone's feet are different. It's really imperative to try them on in the shop, preferably in the afternoon, if they aren't comfy don't buy them. You need to try them on a slope as well, good shops will have a ramp you can bounce on. and also any decent retaler will let you take them home for a week to wear round the house, if during that time they start to be uncomfortable, take them back.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby xillent » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Yes, thanks. I've done all the fitting stuff but was more interested in what you think about the creased goretex sock. I'm nervy about buying boots like that. This must be my 20th pair of boots over the years and I've never bought a pair with a creased sock. Albeit I've never had the problem with my ankle.
xillent
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:09 am

Touch wood - haven't had a problem with creased goretex in Meindl Burmas or Salomon fabric/suede boots. Also use Scarpa M3s and Activs which wouldn't have that problem as they don't have goretex linings. Issues with metatarsalgia though have been getting worse in the Scarpas recently yet I don't seem to have the same problem with the Salomons - may be due to the latter being a lot more flexible and lighter albeit not as robust a boot. Will need to revert to the Scarpas for winter though. Afraid I can't be of any more help - may be just a case of being extra careful when checking the boot before you buy and trying on more thoroughly at home - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby xillent » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks for that. Every pair of Scarpas I've seen have the creased Goretex sock problem. I suspect that if it was really a problem they'd all be getting returned. I presume, like a sock, when you put your feet in the sock gets stretched.
xillent
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk