walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sleeping Bag

Sleeping Bag

Postby Pharic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a new sleeping bag that is suitable for carrying in a rucksack and for temperatures down to freezing point. I find my current bag can feel quite sweaty even when I feel cold. So I'm looking for something warm, light and breathable. Not sure if you can get all in one. Any advice? Thanks.
Pharic
Munro compleatist

Re: Sleeping Bag

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 pm

I use a snugpak three season synthetic filled bag. Everyone seems to find a different one to suit them.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Not sure if you can get all in one

Yes you can, but it does rather depend on your budget.

Personally, I find down much less sweaty than synthetic fills, its nearly always much lighter for the warmth. However, for decent, ethically sourced down, you will be paying a fairly large chunk of cash. It does last for many years though. I like Alpkit's stuff, have a Pipedream 250 as a summer bag, which wouldn't be warm enough for what you need but there are plenty in the range that are, such as the 400.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Pharic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks very much. These look good and probably exactly what I'm after.
Pharic
Munro compleatist

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:28 am

I'd second what Mal says.

I have a RAB 600, which is good for 3.5 seasons (down to about -3 degrees) in combination with a thermal air mattress like Exped. My son has an Alpkit 3 season, which - again in combination with a thermal air mattress - was good for camping in snow (I guess the temperatures were around -2 or 3 degrees).

I mention the mattress because, although down is incredibly warm, its insulating properties are dependent upon its bulking; and it can't bulk if you're lying on it, so you need insulation from below.

My previous synthetic bag was better in this regard (but horrendously bulky and heavy!!!).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote: I mention the mattress because, although down is incredibly warm, its insulating properties are dependent upon its bulking; and it can't bulk if you're lying on it, so you need insulation from below.

You're absolutely right about needing a good mat underneath, even more so with a down bag, as the filling is pretty much entirely squashed underneath.

For the record, my winter bag is a PHD Minim 500 thing I got when they were on offer and I felt like treating myself. Still the most expensive piece of outdoor kit I've ever bought! Hopefully, though, I may never have to buy another bag; it should last decades, and it is truly lovely to sleep in when its cold outside, yet weighs under a kilo. I think I'd buy the Alpkit now, as it uses hydrophobic down. Rab and ME bags are also excellent, and a friend has a Cumulus Panyam which looks excellent value.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:38 pm

ME Zero 350 down bag. Weighs about 700gr and think it's normally OK down to -5c. Recently switched to a Thermarest Xtherm mat - big difference and am sure I can feel the heat being reflected back up - cheers :-)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am

Alpkit Pipedream 400 is a good choice. However Tiso quite often have Rab down bags on offer during BlackFriday and there was big savings on Mountain Equipment bags in last year's BlackFriday through Taunton Leasure.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby mrssanta » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Just remember that what is warm for one person is not warm for another. I have a pipedream 800 (yes I know, pathetic isnt it) that I use except in the height of summer when I use a 600. Rudolph has a pipedream 400 which he uses all year except when it is freezing when he uses the 600. So three between two covers every eventuality. Also I have the thickest warmest mat ever. I have an exped UL downmat. smashing. I hate being cold.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Pharic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:11 pm

Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice here.
Pharic
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk