walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Goretex boots ... is it just me?

Re: Goretex boots ... is it just me?

Postby reecesanford » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:18 am

Interesting read.
I too am also struggling with choosing a new pair of boots and have been for the last 12 months.

I currently own a pair of Mammut MT Trail XT GTX boots which weigh a tonne. They have been resoled once but are still waterproof and in great condition. Bearing in mind I very rarely look after them. Reckon I put wax on them once a year.

Before these I had a pair of Raichle and between the pair of them I reckon they've lasted 8 years.

I use trail shoes alot especially Salomon's and some have only lasted 2 months and thats just been dog walking in them.
Waterproofing has been nothing short of shocking.

I need a pair of decent lightweight boots but cannot see the point or have the finances to spend £160 every year because they won't last.

Fabric boots to me seem a waste of time. All I seem to see are goretex lined boots which like people have mentioned won't last.

Decisions decisions
reecesanford
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisButch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 pm

paulm wrote:
Meanwhile - here's proof that they don't make 'em how they used to ... my now 'gardening boots' that I mentioned when I opened the thread ... they really are still waterproof!

boots1a.jpg

boots2a.jpg

Oddly enough I too have a pair of ancient Brashers also relegated to gardening, look virtually identical (except different colour mud here in Devon!)
ChrisButch

Postby MusicalHiker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Reading this with interest. I'm in the Lakes just now and looking to buy new boots. The last ones I bought are still fab in dry conditions, very light and comfy and grippy (Berghaus Explorer Trek, £66 in a sale) and the best I've had yet, but they were only truly waterproof for the first two years and they are now over four years old.

I need a decent leather pair for wet conditions and I'm thinking about something like Scarpa Deltas but I'm concerned about how long they are going to last, and for £200+ it's a worry! I read somewhere that Goretex is guaranteed
for life.... that must be nonsense though...
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 pm

MusicalHiker wrote:Reading this with interest. I'm in the Lakes just now and looking to buy new boots. The last ones I bought are still fab in dry conditions, very light and comfy and grippy (Berghaus Explorer Trek, £66 in a sale) and the best I've had yet, but they were only truly waterproof for the first two years and they are now over four years old.

I need a decent leather pair for wet conditions and I'm thinking about something like Scarpa Deltas but I'm concerned about how long they are going to last, and for £200+ it's a worry! I read somewhere that Goretex is guaranteed
for life.... that must be nonsense though...

A guarantee for life is not a guarantee they won't wear out, it just means they guarantee no actual faults in the fabric. Given that such faults likely appear quickly, its a bit meaningless.

My last leather boots lasted 15 years (so about 12 weeks of winter walking plus 4 weeks trekking and numerous weekends). They still didn't leak much when I replaced them, but I couldn't get a good enough replacement sole for the model due to an unusual last.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby MichaelUK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:24 pm

I've just purchased a pair of Alt-Berg Defender High Liability boots, army boots, and yes it would be daft buying only one, so bought a pair. £65 off ebay, brand new, boxed with extra laces and spacers. They are an all leather boot with a none water proof lining. However they are waterproof if cared for correctly. Very comfortable, an excellent winter boot.
MichaelUK
Scrambler

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk