walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Android gps app

Android gps app

Postby Roy47 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi looking for a gps app that will allow me to use trail/track up as opposed to north up when navigating

Many thanks Roy
Roy47
Mountaineer

Re: Android gps app

Postby Coop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:37 pm

In my humble opinion ( having been caught out majorly on a hill whilst using a phone) if I were you ( I know I'm not)
I'd buy myself a cheap GPS or use a map proficiently.
I wouldn't like to be caught out again.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:14 pm

As for the 'North up' if you have to navigate with the device I know that the Garmin one that I use always swings to the direction you are travelling when using....which is useful. Same as turning your map to match the direction you are walking:)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby matt_outandabout » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 am

Viewranger will do the 'follow trail' thing.

A warning - firstly get a spare battery or two, or second device AND learn the controls for how often it checks position. Most GPS apps eat battery power, viewranger included, when on 'wrong' setting and over course of a long hill day.

I still have old old Nokia that lives with me (turned off in first aid) when I'm using normal smart phone, as back up emergency calls phone. I also have £10 second hand old B&W GPS device, that when I'm with groups in the hills goes with me, mainly so that in a proper emergency I could double check location.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby Robinho08 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Viewranger is fantastic, best navigation app out there.

Best putting your phone in flight mode what ever app you use. Your battery will last much longer and GPS still works. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Roy47 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks have Viewranger loaded put cant find any option to change from North up to Trail up. Am thinking of buying a ruggedised phone with spare battery.

Link https://www.mantistech.co.uk/rhino-three?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyNjRBRCpARIsAPDBnn1igLvoBUbXij4WKbRiN4ODViT5J24Pe0NPqImXvYrJvkY__yTD69AaAh0EEALw_wcB

Any advice be great

Roy
Roy47
Mountaineer

Postby matt_outandabout » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:03 pm

By the time you have done that you can probably pick up a dedicated GPS and maps...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:52 am

Roy47 wrote:Thanks have Viewranger loaded put cant find any option to change from North up to Trail up. Am thinking of buying a ruggedised phone with spare battery.

Link https://www.mantistech.co.uk/rhino-three?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyNjRBRCpARIsAPDBnn1igLvoBUbXij4WKbRiN4ODViT5J24Pe0NPqImXvYrJvkY__yTD69AaAh0EEALw_wcB

Any advice be great

Roy

Try: Settings > Display > Auto rotate map.

To be honest, I just use my Samsung S7, but have it in a Spigen phone cover to protect it from dropping it.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby jolly47roger » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Orux has a direction up feature as opposed to North up.

I use an Android phone and in airplane mode easily get a day's use out of the battery - but I do carry a rechargeable battery pack and keep the phone in an 'Aquapac' case
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby madprof » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:39 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:Viewranger will do the 'follow trail' thing.

A warning - firstly get a spare battery or two, or second device AND learn the controls for how often it checks position. Most GPS apps eat battery power, viewranger included, when on 'wrong' setting and over course of a long hill day.

I still have old old Nokia that lives with me (turned off in first aid) when I'm using normal smart phone, as back up emergency calls phone. I also have £10 second hand old B&W GPS device, that when I'm with groups in the hills goes with me, mainly so that in a proper emergency I could double check location.

I could go all day with my previous (Moto G) phone with GPS app running. No spare battery or anything, but I only use it as a second reference and rely on a paper map.

Taking a Galaxy S8 up this year so no need for a waterproof cover but not sure about battery life,l even with flight mode etc. We will see!
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:00 pm

I could go all day with my previous (Moto G) phone with GPS app running. No spare battery or anything, but I only use it as a second reference and rely on a paper map.

Check it more often, have it set on high accuracy, take a few pics, maybe have phone on 80% when you set off, and you have an issue. Add in having an issue or a cold day, then when you need that phone for calling MRT or nav in dark, and you're stuffed...

It *can* be done, but it's a chance.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Postby madprof » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:48 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:

Check it more often, have it set on high accuracy, take a few pics, maybe have phone on 80% when you set off, and you have an issue. Add in having an issue or a cold day, then when you need that phone for calling MRT or nav in dark, and you're stuffed...

It *can* be done, but it's a chance.

So with a few checks, plus some photos, and setting off with 100%, my S8 was at 77% by the end of 7 hours of walking. GPS running all the time and I was tracking my route, flight mode on.

I would never recommend using a phone as a sole means of navigation. That is slightly bonkers. But for my purposes this obviates the need for a GPS unit.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby garryjoshi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:23 am

matt_outandabout wrote:Viewranger will do the 'follow trail' thing.

Which app are you using? Generally due to fact of high battery power consumption I keep my phone in flight/airplane mode to prevent that and it works really good I can keep my phone on all day long.
garryjoshi
Munro compleatist

Postby bydand_loon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:05 pm

Some phones are better with battery life than others, if like me you've got a multitude of old smart phones lying around, use one of the good ones with viewranger as a dedicated GPS unit. Saves a fortune, has a bigger screen and are generally a lot lighter.

I used to use a HTC desire that had a spare battery but i'm now using an old S5 as a dedicated GPS. My S8 also has viewranger on it, but I switch it off when out, it can be used as a back up if there's a drama.

The S5 has the SIM card and all apps removed Wi-Fi etc off, so it doesnt use any power searching for a signal. It's basically a shell now. I was out around braemar yesterday, did about 8 miles over 4 hours, recorded the route and it used about 20% of the battery. If I'm out for days I have a battery pack to top it up every night. I've found over the last 3 or 4 years using viewranger that it's always been spot on, even when I've been convinced it was lying to me :wink:
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby garryjoshi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 am

bydand_loon wrote:Some phones are better with battery life than others, if like me you've got a multitude of old smart phones lying around, use one of the good ones with viewranger as a dedicated GPS unit. Saves a fortune, has a bigger screen and are generally a lot lighter.

I used to use a HTC desire that had a spare battery but i'm now using an old S5 as a dedicated GPS. My S8 also has viewranger on it, but I switch it off when out, it can be used as a back up if there's a drama.

The S5 has the SIM card and all apps removed Wi-Fi etc off, so it doesnt use any power searching for a signal. It's basically a shell now. I was out around braemar yesterday, did about 8 miles over 4 hours, recorded the route and it used about 20% of the battery. If I'm out for days I have a battery pack to top it up every night. I've found over the last 3 or 4 years using viewranger that it's always been spot on, even when I've been convinced it was lying to me :wink:

Yes true! If you want to use phone only for GPS purpose then there's no requirement of spending $1k on a new smartphone. Almost any budget android mobile can do the job.
garryjoshi
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk