walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scarpa Ribelle Tech OD review

Scarpa Ribelle Tech OD review

Postby OlRob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi all, new member but long time reader of the forum.

Scarpas new boot isn't well reviewed as yet, but as a new owner I thought I'd give my opinion.
The trade view copied from Go Outdoors:

Outstanding comfort for daily hard trekking, technical mountaineering and alpinism.
Scarpa Men's Ribelle Mountain Tech OD Boots are extremely light and comfortable thanks to the exclusive Sock-Fit Plus construction system, and perform well in all terrains thanks to theur innovative construction, materials and technologies applied.

RIBELLE gives the best sensation and performances on via ferrata routes, technical mountaineering and alpinism where it shows the lightness, agility, stability and great grip’s values.

SOCK-FIT construction system offers a fit as snug as a sock, the feeling of being at one with your footwear.
OUTDRY's waterproof/ breathable membrane is directly bonded to the external layer of the shoe or glove, perfectly sealing any possible water entry point
The FLEX POINT System allows your ankles complete freedom of movement, even in the stiffest of boots
The "HEEL TENSION SYSTEM" is an innovative system that offers great stability and adaptability to the severe stress derived from steep routes

Sole: Vibram Pentax Precision III
Last: ARG
Upper: KCN TECH Fabric
Insole: Activ Plus

First of all let's deal with the price :shock:
The cheapest I found this boot for was £351 from Go Outdoors and even that pricing makes me wince when I think too hard about it. These are very, very expensive boots, more expensive than any other footwear I've bought and the most expensive bit of outdoor kit I own. Does anyone need boots this expensive? No, we probably don't. This is a luxury purchase, a treat, a 'because you're worth it' kind of thing. I can't justify spending this much, I'm not actually worth it and I'm dealing with that fact by simply ignoring the cost.

On to actually telling you about them while sweating slightly in case my wife spots the figures after the £ sign...

They are light.
The weight is included in every mention of them on the net and this emphasis is justified because they weigh about the same as a pair of lightweight summer boots or chunky hiking shoes. To get them up to the weight of winter boots you need to add crampons and some snow.
The fit is obviously a personal thing but having one odd shaped foot thanks to my maternal ancestors genetic propensity to bunions, I struggle to get any comfortable footwear and have accepted a certain amount of foot pain and the odd blister after any big walk. I've not had any of these problems with these boots, which is nice (£351!!!). They are a bit of a struggle to get on and are not the thing to wear for a quick trip to the campsite loo unless your bladder and bowel control is at ninja level, but once on they feel very comfortable indeed.
Did I mention how light they are?

The fit of the sock-like construction is almost good enough that the laces are an afterthought; no struggling with esoteric lacing patterns to stop heel lift, just tug them as tight as you want and get on with wheezing up things.

They do feel slightly odd when walking; a combination of a stiff sole and the lack of the usual big bootiness seems strange but comfortable; you get the characteristic clump without the sensation of heaviness, almost like a stiff soled training shoe.

They are insulated, again this information appears in the descriptions available, but it doesn't seem to make the boots too big when walking.

I think it's probably difficult to get a boot with a poor sole these days, and these boots offer no drama in that respect.
They are a bit orangey which might cause raised eyebrows among those of you who favour tweed, but if you are wearing them you don't have to look down all the time. Additionally, the reflective strips might be considered odd, but that's how they come, so that's how they're staying.

In short; Light, excellent, comfortable, expensive.
OlRob
Munro compleatist

Re: Scarpa Ribelle Tech OD review

Postby goingforawii » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks for the detail OIRob. I've not owned a B1 or B2 boot before but a read a fair few reviews online (including yours) and went and tried many on - and in the end settled for these... partly because a chap was selling a "used once" size 46 pair on ebay for £200 - it made the decision much easier for me! I've only had them out in the wet at the moment but will hopefully get up to the snowy peaks in the next couple weeks. Hopefully they'll be a good investment :D
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

Postby SyNunn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 am

Hi, just wondering how you're getting on with these boots six months on?
I bought a pair second hand and find them pretty hard on my heels. Feels like the upper part of the heel cup is digging into the top of my heel. I've been advised these boots might not be right for my shape of foot, but wonder if anyone else is experiencing similar issues?
SyNunn
Scrambler

Postby Kendonm » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm

SyNunn wrote:Hi, just wondering how you're getting on with these boots six months on?
I bought a pair second hand and find them pretty hard on my heels. Feels like the upper part of the heel cup is digging into the top of my heel. I've been advised these boots might not be right for my shape of foot, but wonder if anyone else is experiencing similar issues?

Fancied them too, but tried on alongside Charmoz and they are a completely different fit and feel. Different insole too if I remember. Went for the Charmoz in the end. It was only a few grams difference in the end and I have ran in the Charmoz on flat approach paths.
Kendonm

Munros:119   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:42 pm

SyNunn wrote:Hi, just wondering how you're getting on with these boots six months on?

Similar situation as you when I bought Scarpa, definitely not for my feet, sold them on, too many blisters at the heel, and when I say blisters I mean Blisters.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk