walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Winter Mitts or Gloves

Winter Mitts or Gloves

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Recommendations required for the above please

As I'm getting older my hands get cold much quicker than they used to.

How much would I expect to pay for waterproof,warm winter gloves or mitts

Thanks in advance GLW
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Winter Mitts or Gloves

Postby boriselbrus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:33 pm

For me it's both. I use basic windproof gloves which are generally all I need at lower level unless it's very windy. If I still get cold hands I have some old goretex mitts which are pile lined over the top. I got them on ebay years ago for less than £10 and I've never had anything other than very warm hands when using them.

I quick search on ebay now for similar shows several options for around £10. The best tenner you'll ever spend!
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Gammy - I have raynauds syndrome and can get white, numb fingers frequently, eg when walking through the chilled aisles in the supermarket, so a lot worse when out in winter.
I've tried umpteen different types of gloves and mitts, even battery powered heated gloves, but have never really found a decent solution (I don't want to go down the medical solution route).
For cold weather, I find that mitts work better than gloves albeit not quite as practical - at the moment, I'm using a pair of mitts similar to these and the pair I have have individual finger spaces within the mitts. I almost always wear a liner glove (eg thin gloves for running) so that my hands are always covered and outer gloves/mitts are easier to take off when wearing liners as opposed to cold/wet hands.
For wet weather, the only thing I've ever found to be waterproof are a pair of army goretex outer mitts similar to these and I wear a pair of ordinary fleece gloves inside - I can even wash the car with them and my hands stay dry though in heavy rain it's best to put the jacket sleeves over the sleeve end of the mitts to stop rain running down the jacket into the mitt (which means they're a little less practical and less easy to take off).
Hope you get a solution - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 pm

I have a pair of Buffalo mitts. My hands usually end up sweating in them. I only wear them when it's below zero.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:I have a pair of Buffalo mitts. My hands usually end up sweating in them. I only wear them when it's below zero.

For some (unknown) reason, I always thought that buffalo mitts were woollen but after your note I've just had a look online and see they're not - I think I'll have a look next time I'm in a shop which stocks them as the write-ups also suggest they're very warm - cheers :)
rockhopper

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 am

Maybe you were thinking of Dachsteins, which are wool.

A couple of tips- Buffalo mitts are not waterproof but they're not meant to be. Don't wear any other gloves under or over them, and make sure you get a big enough size as they don't stretch at all.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 am

Being old school I still favour Dachsteins for very cold conditions, though a pair of simple waterproof overmitts (not always easy to find) helps enormously in wet conditions. I hear that Dachsteins are getting expensive these days though. Buffalo mitts are likewise excellent; I usually carry a pair as spares in winter.
As for gloves, I've found Sealskinz to be the best, also - for the feet - their waterproof socks.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:14 am

Ben Nachie wrote:Maybe you were thinking of Dachsteins, which are wool.

:oops: Thanks. Yes, you're right - was mixing them up - cheers :-)
rockhopper

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:15 pm

rockhopper wrote:...For wet weather, the only thing I've ever found to be waterproof are a pair of army goretex outer mitts similar to these and I wear a pair of ordinary fleece gloves inside - I can even wash the car with them and my hands stay dry though in heavy rain it's best to put the jacket sleeves over the sleeve end of the mitts to stop rain running down the jacket into the mitt (which means they're a little less practical and less easy to take off).

Yep, this is what I have also. The only issue is the long gauntlet of the mitts which is a bit of a pain to get under one's jacket sleeves.

The thing is really to ensure at the outset that everything you'll need on your walk is really easily accessible without taking off the mitts.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:18 pm

I find warm core and arms *as* important as gloves. Even better is a baselayer with thumbloops as well.

Gloves - I have some cheap baselayer gloves (stretchy 'magic' ones from eBay at £1 a pair) and they are almost as good as the Montane Powerdry gloves (they do dry out better and are nicer to wear...). This is then followed by a pair of Montane Extreme gloves (Pile and Pertex) in cold weather.

If really cold, or the Montane's get wet (they are not waterproof) I have a couple of pairs of old pile and GoreTex mitts, one pair so big they would go over the Montane Extremes....

I have used PowerDry->Extreme Gloves->Big Mitts a couple of times when cycling or ski-ing to work pre-dawn and once on the hill, but every time was -10/15 air temp and low -20's with windchill....
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk