walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

stuck on boots

stuck on boots

Postby simcc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:42 am

Hi,

I have purchased two pairs of boots and am stuck on which ones to keep and could do with some wisdom.
I'm well aware of different boots for different people, therefore I'm not looking for a decision, but some thoughts from people.

My own thoughts between the Scarpa Charmoz and Scarpa Triolet are:
Charmoz:
+ narrower and snugger fit
- but therefore less room for thick socks and higher chance of cold feet
+ sole is slightly shorter, which therefore just fits my max extended air-tech crampons
- material is out-dry and synthetic leather, which I am led to believe is more sensitive to wear and tear and leaking.

Triolet
o fit is good, but maybe not as pefect as the Charmoz (but I do wonder what will happen after feet expand after a good days hike, the Charmoz may get too tight then)
+ slightly broader fit, so a bit more room for insulation with thick socks in winter
- sole is slightly longer, therefore an extension bar is required for the crampons (I take a EU size 47) at a small extra cost
+ material is gore-tex, but the majority of the lower material is leather, which should be more robust and last longer.

My main qualms are between the nice-fitting Charmoz in my living room (fits the foot very well), but out on the hills a little more space could be better for expanding feet and thicker socks for warmth in winter. And as far as material is concerned, the Triolet wins with the real leather.

Btw, I'm planning to use them mainly for Scottish winter munro's and the occassional multi-terrain hike in the Alps (limited technicality, Monte Blanc is planned in the coming years for example).

Any advice or thoughts are very welcome!
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Re: stuck on boots

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 pm

The only piece of advice I can offer is that your worries about your feet expanding are not worth worrying about. It's only a problem if you take the boots off and then try to put them back on again soon after. I wear my boots narrow and really tight, it's the only way on my feet I can stop them slipping, and that's my experience. As soon as I take my boots off my feet expand but not before. I do suffer from cold feet though, and that is due to me wearing my boots tight. Note that extra socks do not compensate for this as it's circulation related.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby dav2930 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi simcc
Your question seems to turn on the issue of warmth v. precision. What you need to decide is which of the two is the more important factor with respect to your objectives. I have a pair of Charmoz's myself and can vouch for their superb precision and lightness on technical ground. But if ordinary Munro bagging in winter is your main objective, then my advice would be not to get too hung up about precision. Warmth will be the more important factor, and although Charmoz's are warm enough most of the time, in full-on winter conditions in the Cairngorms etc. you might want something a bit more substantial. I've never had a pair of Triolet's so I can't judge, but if you reckon they'd be warmer then I'd go for them over the Charmoz's.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby simcc » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks for some very good tips! :)

Although I believe the Triolet is marginally the better boot (although they're both very good), I am nudging a little more towards the Charmoz based on the fit. I think it's a too often made mistake to pick the best boot in theory, but maybe not the one that fits the foot the best. In the end, if the fit isnt right then you'll find out about it halfway through a 20 mile day. Not the best time and also too late to send it back. The fit is definitely better on the Charmoz, therefore I think this will probably be my choice,
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk