walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Salomon Quest Prime GTX, opinions?

Salomon Quest Prime GTX, opinions?

Postby CamasunarySi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

I intend on doing a lot of walking between late March and early November this year, mostly Snowdonia and the Lakes with two or three trips up to Scotland as well to get my Munro career started. I've heard a lot of good things about Salomon Prime GTX boots, would these be an ideal boot for what I'm aiming to do? I have an old pair of Scarpa SL which are still in good nick but I find them a bit heavy and sweaty and not massively comfortable. Swift responses appreciated as there's impressive reductions in the shops at the moment!
CamasunarySi
Hill Bagger

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:29   
Walk wish-list

Re: Salomon Quest Prime GTX, opinions?

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Coincidentally, I've always tended to use leather boots in the past, eg Meindl Burma, Scarpa SLM3, Scarpa SLActiv, but for summer/autumn day walks was finding them a bit on the heavy side and they were exacerbating my metatarsalgia. In spring last year, I got a pair of Salomon Quest Prime GTX and used them throughout summer/autumn until the snow arrived - I still use Scarpa M3 for camping trips and the Scarpa Activs for winter/snow though. I find the Salomons to have good grip, they're comfortable and I don't (touch wood) seem to suffer from the metatarsalgia anywhere near as much. The salomons coped with various trips, mainly corbetts and donalds, including three days in a row on corbetts in varying conditions and some steep inclines. They kept my feet dry as well. One negative is that when they get wet on the outside, they take a lot longer to dry than leather boots. Also, one of the bottom lace loops broke after a few trips but Cotswold just replaced the boots for me. I'm not sure if they'll last as long as a good leather boot but they were cheaper, lighter and more comfortable - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Salomon Quest Prime GTX, opinions?

Postby boriselbrus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:36 pm

I have these and my partner has the similar woman's model. We both have the same opinion.

Pro's - Light, comfortable, good grip, good support

Cons - The waterproofing fails after less than 300 miles despite looking after them carefully. When wet they take ages to dry.

Conclusion - If the waterproofing was reliable I'd recommend them. As it is my £30 Karrimor trainers keep my feet dry after 2 years, whereas the £130 Salomons don't.
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk