walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

First ever tent

Re: First ever tent

Postby SpaceCaptainTheodore » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:41 am

Given what you're after I'd advocate the Scarp 2 too; I'm not sure what the current cost is, though, when I got mine it was certainly less than £500.

When I got it I was after something to accommodate myself (6ft) and my brother (6'3) both length wise and sitting up. I also wanted a stepped end to accommodate some correspondingly large feet (I hate getting feet gnarled up in a tapered end which, especially on a slope, always seems to happen). It delivers this at low weight (1.7kg without the winter cross poles) and has stood up to some gnarly weather too.

Big enough to be worth taking car camping, pitching is quick and easy, and my partner (previously an avowed non-camper) thinks it's ace too. Only consideration is the well worn exchange rate and customs charge to get it imorted from America, a quick google should help identify people's recent experience (or check the Trek-lite forum).
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Postby Mylo73 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:14 pm

HerdySheep wrote:Hi allIs there any such tent you would recommend? Have you got any general advice on what to look out for when buying a tent/which blogs/reviews to read/how to prepare for the 'first time'?

I am really looking forward to any advice!

I've just mentioned this on another thread, the Nordisk Halland II LW. Only 1.5kgs with a huge porch and within your budget.
Mylo73
Mountaineer

Postby HerdySheep » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Thank you everyone for the great advice! We still haven't got a tent but we've figured out quite some things now (starting with the Thermarests, which we have finally bought yesterday...) So today, we've 'erected' all possible tents in 2D by sticking tape on the floor according to the manufacturer's floor plans. At least this helped us decide on how much space we need on the ground :D

Thus, we are now left with the following contenders:
Nordisk Halland 2LW
Terra Nova Solar Photon 2
Vaude Hogan UL 2P

Does anyone have any experience with either of those? I will also do some more research later...

The Solar Photon seems incredible (still reasonably waterproof and enough space for both mats without needing to resort to top-to-toe orientation at such a low weight). However, I wonder whether it's able to withstand the fierce winds, especially closer to the coast, from May through September? Furthermore, it's groundsheet really does not look as though it is of the bathtub-design type. I worry that in heavy rainfall we'll be left floating on our mats?

Is there anything else I have overlooked?

Thanks again!
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:25   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Force 10 tents are worth considering. I bought a Force 10 Nitro 200 plus. 2 person in the sleeping area, but plenty of space to store your kit and cook. So far very impressed and about 1.7kg. Tunnel design, but an extended area at the front, the dining room :lol: It also pitches as one with the inner attached, a good bonus if it raining.
A lot of folk talk of Wild Country Zephros 2 man, but at just under 1.7kg, slightly lighter, but way less space. Force 10 Helium is comparable to the Zephros, but only 1.4kg, but again, space is limited.
But each to their own, folk can have a preference for a particular design. Force 10 use to be part of Vango, and when I was initially searching the Vango range, was surprised there was nothing suitable, as in lightweight, then realised Force 10 was now a separate site.
Not sure if the Nitro is still available, although I picked mine up from ebay :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Bothybob » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:07 pm

I have been camping most of my adult life and have and had various tents, my current one is a MSR Hubba Hubba xt 2 which ticks almost all the boxes for me Worth a look at
Bothybob

Postby crfishwick » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:27 pm

HerdySheep wrote:T
Thus, we are now left with the following contenders:
Nordisk Halland 2LW
Terra Nova Solar Photon 2
Vaude Hogan UL 2P

The Solar Photon seems incredible (still reasonably waterproof and enough space for both mats without needing to resort to top-to-toe orientation at such a low weight). However, I wonder whether it's able to withstand the fierce winds, especially closer to the coast, from May through September? Furthermore, it's groundsheet really does not look as though it is of the bathtub-design type. I worry that in heavy rainfall we'll be left floating on our mats?

Thanks again!

The Terra Nova Solar Photon 2 will stand up to most things thrown at it no problem. Due to it's semi geodesic design.As you say reasonably waterproof! Fully WProof IMHO. Also the Vaude another worthwhile tent.
crfishwick

Postby terrymccollough » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello and good luck with the tent search. Not to throw a spanner in the works, but in my experience 2 person tents are really good for 1 person. Perhaps a 3 person tent would provide the room you and your partner need while waiting out the weather? Big Agnes has some 3 person tents in the under 2kg range. I am sure other companies have similar offerings

All the Best,

Terry
terrymccollough
Scrambler

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 pm

The Alpkit Ordos offers excellent space for the weight. A mate has one, and its impressive, and seems stable and well designed. I'd go for the 3 person, its still only 1.6kg! https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-3

I have a Vaude Invenio, which I am really liking. Not sure its quite big enough inside for you guys, though it does have 2 large porches, situated to each side as you lie. It definitely stands up to 60-70mph gusts, something its predecessor didn't (Vango Halo). I think its a bit pricey at full RRP, but I got it far cheaper for around £360, so look around. There's some info here, including some of my thoughts: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/51845-Vaude-Invenio-UL-2P-tent-review
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby HerdySheep » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Mal Grey wrote:The Alpkit Ordos offers excellent space for the weight. A mate has one, and its impressive, and seems stable and well designed. I'd go for the 3 person, its still only 1.6kg!

I think its size may cause difficulties finding a suitable spot? :lol:
The Ordos 3 is definetely worth some reconsidering. However, again, I worry about the hydrostatic head of its groundsheet (3000mm). I don't think it's realistic we'll be ever camping on dry ground and I am probably a bit paranoid about the sleeping bags (most probably down) getting wet through moisture seeping through the groundsheet!

Currently we are slightly favouring the Halland 2. Any thoughts?
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:25   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Yeah, 3000mm does sound a little low, I'd tend to want to use a footprint with that.

Sorry, don't know the Nordisk range. Look good, and pretty sure they'd turn out to be very well made.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Scottk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:21 am

I have a Nordisk Telemark 1 which is a great little tent-very well made. The Halland looks very similar to the Hilleberg Anjan 2 which I have as well. The Hilleberg is very well made and the space is good if cosy.
Try and see then set up somewhere if you can. Also keep an eye on eBay etc for anyone selling one and you should probably try and see an Hilleberg tent as you can sometimes get a deal on them.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:21 am

Just my opinion but I don't think hydrostatic head is really a very good measure of how waterproof a groundsheet is going to be. I mean, when is a groundsheet ever going to see 3bar of differential pressure across it? Answer- it's not.

What makes a groundsheet waterproof is looking after it and not getting holes in it.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:36 am

Ben Nachie wrote:Just my opinion but I don't think hydrostatic head is really a very good measure of how waterproof a groundsheet is going to be. I mean, when is a groundsheet ever going to see 3bar of differential pressure across it? Answer- it's not.

What makes a groundsheet waterproof is looking after it and not getting holes in it.

Sorry, I'm going to disagree here. Because a groundsheet is often knelt on, those pressure points can easily apply a lot of pressure in one small place. This is why groundsheets generally have a higher HH than flysheets. The other factor that comes into play is that groundsheets are more exposed to wear on their proofed side, i.e you're moving about on the actual PU coating more often than not.

Design does, though, play an enormous part in it, and you're right that we shouldn't always just get hung up on Hydro Head.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:Just my opinion but I don't think hydrostatic head is really a very good measure of how waterproof a groundsheet is going to be. I mean, when is a groundsheet ever going to see 3bar of differential pressure across it? Answer- it's not.

Sorry, I'm going to disagree here. Because a groundsheet is often knelt on, those pressure points can easily apply a lot of pressure in one small place. This is why groundsheets generally have a higher HH than flysheets. The other factor that comes into play is that groundsheets are more exposed to wear on their proofed side, i.e you're moving about on the actual PU coating more often than not.

Design does, though, play an enormous part in it, and you're right that we shouldn't always just get hung up on Hydro Head.

Ah but it's not differential pressure when you kneel on the ground. What you are describing is mechanical wear. Like I said, look after it and don't get holes in it. Admittedly a fabric with a lower hydrostatic head is likely to be thinner and less robust, but that's where the correlation ends.

What I'm saying is a groundsheet with a hydrostatic head of 3000mm is not going to have water seeping through it all by itself.

I stand by what I said. Hydrostatic head is a poor indicator of actual waterproofness.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:53 pm

you can protect your groundsheet by using a couple of cheap rollmats underneath, they are easily replaceable at about a fiver a time and add some insulation as well. We always take rollmats and blow up mats for camping - then if your blow up mat takes a puncture (it happens) then you aren't totally stuffed
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk