walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

First ever tent

Re: First ever tent

Postby HerdySheep » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Right, I think there's some agreement that a footprint for the tent will enhance performance and durability. Thus, I'll start looking into that as well (and, perhaps, re-evaluate some tents I've kicked from my list because I deemed their HH rating as being too low).
Would you go for a dedicated footprint from the manufacturer or have you opted for a DIY version (possibly more lightweight)?
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:25   

Postby Scottk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:16 pm

I used a tyvek one but it started to annoy me as it would hold moisture and get heavier. I'm going to make a polycro one for my next trip. You can find this if you look for a glazing window film.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:20 pm

I have one for my Luxe SIL Habitat tent that conveniently works well with the VauDe too.

Another thing you can use, that is remarkably tough, is something called Polycro. Ultralight backpackers and bikepackers seem to use it as a groundsheet, so a mate got hold of some and gave me enough to use when bivvying. No idea where he got it, I'm afraid, but it looks like thin clear plastic sheeting, but is strong and tear resistant, whilst weighing very little.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby HerdySheep » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:22 pm

After actually lying in some tents and finding my partner needs at least 220 cm in length (if the tent's sides are straight!) we needed to reconsider everything and are now strongly tempted to get a Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P. Would anyone recommend this tent or discourage us from buying it?

Thanks so much!
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Postby Mantog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:20 pm

How tall is your partner? I struggle with finding tents that fit me at 6’5” and had also been eying up the Power Lizard 2-3P, will watch this thread with interest!
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:53 pm

HerdySheep wrote:After actually lying in some tents and finding my partner needs at least 220 cm in length (if the tent's sides are straight!) we needed to reconsider everything and are now strongly tempted to get a Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P. Would anyone recommend this tent or discourage us from buying it?

Thanks so much!

Can't help with the specific model, but am seriously happy with VauDe quality and design, owning an Invenio UL 2P. The only thing I've found wrong with it is a lack of any spare pegs (common to most brands). Spent 6 nights in it last week, and it handled some pretty wild stuff without the slightest problem.

Uttings often seem to have the best Vaude prices.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby HerdySheep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:51 am

We've finally made it and bought an MSR Access 2 tent. My partner just fits with his 6'2'' and it's supposed to stand up to the worst of weather (and as we are aiming for Scandinavia as well, I thought that sturdier is hopefully better).

If we hadn't bought this tent, we would have got the Vaude Taurus 2P UL, as it's long enough and supposedly a good tent for most weather.

Thanks again for all the advice you lot gave, I've learned a lot!
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk