walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

First ever tent

First ever tent

Postby HerdySheep » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi all

after years of longingly watching those pitching up their tents high up on beautiful sites (and sometimes, in heavy rain, pitying them), the time has come for me to get myself a tent. However, I don't have the slightest bit of experience with tents and camping in general. While being a keen walker, I have never stayed outdoors overnight. :shock:

Looking at various threads, outdoor websites etc has left me more confused than ever. I gathered as much as that Hilleberg tents are quite something - however, I assume they are a bit OTT for novices like me.
What I require is:
- a two-person tent
- long enough for my partner to fit in (6ft 3in)
- suitable for use between May and September in any weather/midge conditions encountered in Britain, Ireland and Scandinavia ( keeping me dry is of utmost importance :o )
- it being as lightweight as possible (because we intend to carry it over long distances - CWT being one goal)
- price up to £500

Is there any such tent you would recommend? Have you got any general advice on what to look out for when buying a tent/which blogs/reviews to read/how to prepare for the 'first time'?

I am really looking forward to any advice!
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:25   

Re: First ever tent

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi,

Firstly, wild camping is awesome. It gives you much more of a feeling of being in the hills. It's an altogether more intensive and intensive experience. As a result it can be challenging and unpleasant at times, but also relaxing and amazing at others.

Finding the right tent is all about prioritising weight, price, comfort and durability, and you seem to be some way towards that already.

I'm probably not the right person to advise on current models as I own a 10 year old 1 man Laser Comp and a slightly newer 2 man version of the same. I'm happy with them but there are probably newer and better tents out there now. I'd say Hillebergs seem to be out of your price range however I recommend setting up a search on fleabay for your chosen model(s). That's how I picked up my 2 man tent and it was about half the price of a new one. The only thing wrong with it was it was missing its original stuff sack.

Whatever tent you end up with, enjoy it, it's great fun!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Blacks currently have a Terra Nova Laser (they are well thought of, BUT ONLY 3 Season) tent on offer with a new visitor's deal bringing it well within your price range. It is just over 7 foot long, which should accommodate your partner. Might be worth a look. It is under a kilo, but I imagine you could split it up for carrying.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/255966-terra-nova-laser-competition-2-man-tent.html
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby HerdySheep » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi

thanks for those first hints! I've had a look at the Terra Nova tent (besides others... it seems my partner enjoys watching those tent pitching instruction videos :lol: ) and now I wonder:
How waterproof does a tent and its groundsheet need to be? I don't intend to camp in torrential rain but I also believe it's unlikely that my wish is granted :wink: So basically, I wouldn't possibly want to set up camp in a bog but I also know how waterlogged some areas can get. Is a 5000mm ground sheet sufficient for those rainy days or would it be wiser to go for an 8000mm/10000mm ground sheet (as seen in some Nordisk and Vaude tents - some of which are more waterproof and slightly heavier than the Terra Novas)? What about the outer tent sheets? How much waterproofness will keep us dry in most situations?
Second, how would I fit two thermarests into the Terra Nova tent? The tent seems smaller than the widths of two mats added up. Or do the mats somehow magically always fit? :crazy: (We do not yet own the thermarests but tried them once in our local outdoor shop - and liked them a lot...)
HerdySheep
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:25   

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:21 am

HerdySheep wrote:Hi

Second, how would I fit two thermarests into the Terra Nova tent? The tent seems smaller than the widths of two mats added up. Or do the mats somehow magically always fit? :crazy: (We do not yet own the thermarests but tried them once in our local outdoor shop - and liked them a lot...)

Absolutely right, and less than a double. I'm surprised at that. You could solve it possibly by looking at the neo-air shaped mats which are 60 cms at max, but slim down towards the feet, but that could mean sleeping top to toe, depending on how they moved around in the tent.
https://www.trekitt.co.uk/9014/products/thermarest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-mat-large.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7MTrpPfB2AIV6b3tCh3v5wyuEAQYBSABEgIPEvD_BwE

You might want to look at a couple together in a camping shop.
HOWEVER, on Amazon.com, they claim the Thermarest Ultralite is 20" x 72" which would fit into the Terra Nova. Then at least you would have the option of zipping the two sleeping bags together. (Worth at least one extra season in ratings).They are available here as well, but some sites are poor at giving dimensions.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Scottk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:35 am

Tiso have a good price on an Hilleberg Anjan 2 just now. £420 on the website and I have an OE card which means it's just £395. You would need to check your other half would fit as it might be tight for length. It's coming in at just under 1.8 k on my scales, quality looks superb and fits 2 mats as well as having a good sized vestibule.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:39 am

FWIW I first tried wild camping about 7 years ago - got a Vango Banshee 200 (2 man tent) as it wasn't expensive thinking that if I liked camping I could then get better equipment. Since then I've replaced most of my equipment with better/lighter stuff but have kept the tent as I like it even though it weighs about 2kg as against packed weight of terra nova of about 1.3kg (I think).
Don't know what the hydrostatic head of my version of the tent and groundsheet are but the current banshee quotes 5000mm and 6000mm respectively (suspect mine will be lower and at best the same) . Touch wood, I've never had leakage problems but then the seams are all taped (which I don't think is the case with the terra nova ?).
All of that said, even though it's a 2 man tent, there's room for me, my pack and gear but I don't think I'd like to go camping in it if there were two of us ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Robinho08 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 am

I'd be having a look at something like:

- Tarptent Scarp 2
- Hilleberg Nallo
- Terra Nova Voyager.

Think I'd invest in a Tarptent if I was in the market for a 2 man tent. :D
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Ben Nachie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Don't pay any attention to hydrostatic head, it has almost no bearing as to how well a tent will keep out the rain or ground water. If anything a larger hydrostatic head is an indication of a more robust and heavier material, that's all. Any of the tents made by reputable manufacturers that you'll commonly hear mentioned on this site will keep the rain out.

Watch when checking the dimensions of the Laser Comp, it can be unclear whether you're looking at the 2 man or 1 man. I'd agree that the Laser Comp is a 3 season tent as it won't cope with much snow loading, especially the 2 man version which has larger areas of unsupported material.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby sprintster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Although I'm really a fair weather camper(f the forecast is rubbish I'll stay at home) I've been out in tents costing £30-£40 in torrential rain and wind and they haven't let in a drop.I have a limited budget and never used a tent with more than 3000HH.According to Snugpak anything over 2000HH will easily cope with British rainfall and the higher the HH the more chance of condensation inside.
www.snugpak.com/understanding-hydrostatic-head
sprintster
Mountaineer

Munros:125   Corbetts:23
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:31 pm

I bought a second tent in the middle of last year, and did a fair bit of research prior to doing so (much of it by reading past WH threads on the subject, and asking for and getting advice in the "gear" section of WH). It's well worth your following up on all the tent threads - there's a goldmine of experience-based advice there from folk who do a huge amount of camping.

For what it's worth, here's a distillation of the conclusions I formed.
1. Unless weight is an absolute major consideration, it's worth getting a tent one size up (in terms of person capacity) than you believe you need - ie a 3 person tent, if you expect to need to accommodate up to 2 people, a 2 person tent if you expect to have to accommodate one. There is very little increase in weight if you go one size up, but a massive increase in convenience/space. Many very experienced and regular hiker/campers commenting on this site go for the larger size, accepting the slight increase in weight.
I have a Vango Banshee 300, which I got about 5 years ago, and a Force 10 Helium 200. I use the former for camping near the car, or if there are 2 of us; and the latter for solo wild camping. I have slept 3 in the Banshee a couple of times - me and my 2 grandsons (ages 8 and 11) sardine-wise - and it was tight. Adults would be seriously intimate!!!
2. There's a big advantage in having a pitch-in-one tent (ie the inner is attached to the fly sheet) so that if it's raining you don't get the inside of the tent wet. I guess if you are very slick it may not make a big difference, but I've been so thankful more than once that the Banshee goes up as a oner.
3. It's worth having a bathtub groundsheet. It's not always possible to find an ideal pitch: I've more than once had no option but to take a pitch on soggy ground, where I'm quite sure that I'd have had water coming in over the edge of the groundsheet had I not had a bathtub design.
4. Check on your minimum acceptable clear internal height. Not being able to sit up straight can be a bit of a pain. A number of folk have made this point in tent threads, and having paid inadequate attention to it in opting for the Helium, I'll be more careful if there's ever a further purchase.
5. If you anticipate having to cook in inclement weather, make sure there is a sufficient porch area to do so. People have commented that some tents do not have sufficient space.
6. Most groundsheets seem to be watertight, whatever their rating. Mine are rated 6000mm and 5000mm respectively, and, as far as I can see, can "float" on a marshy pitch without letting in water. It's often damp the night after, but this seems to be due more to condensation due to warmer air from the sleeping bag.
7. You don't need to pay large sums for a perfectly serviceable 3 season tent (I'm in agreement with Rockhopper on this). I paid about £120 for my Banshee a few years ago, and I have no complaints at all (indeed I've camped in reasonably heavy snow, and it's shed the snow quite effectively). Having said that, I wouldn't vouch for it in a howling gale - I don't think it's designed for this - but I aim to avoid such conditions, not least because it's damned difficult to sleep when it's blowing hard! I'm a tightfisted Yorkshireman, but it makes sense to me to be very clear exactly what you're paying for over and above what you get in one of the standard Vango tents if you decide to pay £300+ for a tent. You can get a lot of good gear for the £200 - £300 you save :D .
8. Be clear whether you expect to hike with the tent, and factor weight into your evaluation accordingly. I was surprised at the variation in weight for similar person-capacity tents.

Good luck!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Another thing to consider is how well do you sleep,with 2 person tent one of you will have to climb over the other person if nature calls during the night to get to unzip the inner and then unzip the outer and a repeat when coming back in the tent,some people don't like there sleep being disturbed,if the porch is small you have the problem of the gear to fight with getting out of the tent.A tent one size up would give slightly more room to manoeuvre.
I would take a trip to Go Outdoors or something similar where they have tents erected and do a kind of trial run for space,getting in and out,height,length.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Another thing to consider is how well do you sleep,with 2 person tent one of you will have to climb over the other person if nature calls during the night to get to unzip the inner and then unzip the outer and a repeat when coming back in the tent

Not necessarily. My Laser Comp has a zip at either side so nobody has to climb over, and my old Vango Hurricane Alpha has a door at the 'head' end, again meaning no climbing over each other.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:38 pm

somebody suggested sleeping "top to toe" if width is tight. I would not recommend that as I really don't like sleeping head down. I always want to have my head at the top if there is a slight slope - which there nearly always is - with the fall line of the slope along the length. Of course then you have to factor in which way the wind is blowing... and that depends on where your door is... oh what fun!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:....

Not necessarily. My Laser Comp has a zip at either side so nobody has to climb over, and my old Vango Hurricane Alpha has a door at the 'head' end, again meaning no climbing over each other.

Ditto with the Banshee. I guess the same with tunnel tents..???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk