walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Map

Map

Postby Ranzu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Hello there!
I've got the question about the map of the Skye island. I can't find one. I'm talking about a map, where I could see the whole island. I came across HARVEY maps. They have region and trial maps. But is there a one map which covers the whole isle?
Ranzu

Re: Map

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Harvey's only do selective maps, which are excellent if you're walking on the Cuillin or in Trotternish, but won't cover the whole island.

To cover the whole island at a scale good enough for walking, you will need at the very least 2 Ordnance Survey Landranger Maps at 1:50k; Skye North and Skye South.

To get adequate scale for walking on the Cuillins, go for the OS 1;25k Explorer or the Harveys Cuillin.

If I were visiting Skye as both a Tourist and a walker, I would buy both the Landranger maps, and if I were going onto the Black Cuillin I would add in the Harvey Cuillin or OS Explorer Cuillin.

Of course, you could sign up to "OS Maps" for about £20 a year, and print out what you need. I'd still take a "real" paper map for the hillwalking myself, but you could just then print the other areas of the island that you're interested in.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Ranzu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Thank you so much!! I will buy Ordnance Survey Landranger Maps Skye North and Skye South. :)
Ranzu

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

Ranzu wrote:Thank you so much!! I will buy Ordnance Survey Landranger Maps Skye North and Skye South. :)

Make sure you get the laminated ones. It's usually raining...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Ranzu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Ranzu wrote:Thank you so much!! I will buy Ordnance Survey Landranger Maps Skye North and Skye South. :)

Make sure you get the laminated ones. It's usually raining...

Okay! I will
Ranzu

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk