walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hoka one ones

Hoka one ones

Postby mack3n21e » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:25 am

Screenshot_20180114-022849.jpg
Anyone tried out these boots before? I'm thinking about a purchase. But can't decide between trying these or sticking with my faithful salomons
mack3n21e
Mountain Walker

Munros:11   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Hoka one ones

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 am

I don't know the make, they may well be very well made.

However, the model you show has no separate heel block, which would make me steer well clear of them for hill use. The big "teeth" on the front edge of the heel block on a normal boot are one of the most important bits for grip going down hill. In fact, I'd say the tread pattern is generally only suitable to dry summer surfaces, its simply not aggressive enough.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:59 pm

They do good trail running shoes, don't know about their boots.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Fuchsia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 pm

I've been wearing the Hoka Tor boots for a year or so as an alternative to my Salomon X Ultra Mid boots. On the positive side, the Hokas are very good if you suffer from sore knees as the sole is cushioned. They seem to be hardwearing and I've found the sole has good grip on wet Yorkshire rock. They are not as waterproof as the Salomon GTX boots. The big cushioned sole makes them a bit clumsy for 'real' hill walking. The reason I bought them is that I sometimes jog a bit with the dog, and they are worth the price for the sake of my 66-year-old knees. They are v expensive unless you find a pair on sale (Sportshoes website or ebay). However, I prefer my Salomons for proper hill walking.
Fuchsia
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk