walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

For Sale - Satmap Active 10 GPS

For Sale - Satmap Active 10 GPS

Postby Get To The Chopper » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Satmap Acitve 10 GPS

Unit in great condtion,

Comes with

Active 10 GPS
Plug + Charging lead
Spare Screen protectors
2 x AA Battery Adapter

This is an amazing GPS unit for the hills

Looking for £70, based in Stirling. Upgrading to the active 20.
Get To The Chopper
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: For Sale - Satmap Active 10 GPS

Postby Roy47 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 am

Keep it worst thing i did was get the 20
Roy47
Mountaineer

Postby Get To The Chopper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Roy47 wrote:Keep it worst thing i did was get the 20

Why?
Get To The Chopper
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby scoob999 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Roy47 wrote:Keep it worst thing i did was get the 20

Are you having problems with yours too? I was having numerous problems with mine :?

I sent mine back for them to check, battery life was crap, was jumping from page to page, still can't get the altitude to within less than 10m summit height? " might be my settings though"

Got mine back and seems a lot better but haven't given it a good test yet

Here is the reply I got back.....

Hello Stuart,

The unit functioned fine when tested with the new battery. The older battery was part of a batch which had issues with some contacts inside causing the battery to sometimes give voltage spikes which may have cause issues with GPS signal as well as causing the battery life to diminish very quickly. This could cause the unit to behave in few unexpected ways.

Kind regards,

Daryn.

I want to like this but I'm keeping an open mind :? 2 things that concern me are, 1 the battery, VERY difficult to remove. and 2 the rubber flap at the bottom to keep the unit waterproof is so flimsy it's almost laughable..
On the plus side though, the map scrolls and zooms reall well :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:10 am

Get To The Chopper wrote:Satmap Acitve 10 GPS

Unit in great condtion,

Comes with

Active 10 GPS
Plug + Charging lead
Spare Screen protectors
2 x AA Battery Adapter

This is an amazing GPS unit for the hills

Looking for £70, based in Stirling. Upgrading to the active 20.

Bin it. Absolute Cr*p. Plus the "new" 20. similar. Had them since they were first produced. Too long a list of faults if anyone asks why :( A Garmin convert here speaking.
crfishwick

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 pm

I'd be intereested to hear how folks are getting on with the 20.

Bought my Active 10 at the begining of 2010. Used it loads. Only problem was the flap that covers the USB port which broke off within the year. Didn't want to send it back for repair so it generally lives inside the SATMAP silicone cover. But other than that it's been a fantastic bit of kit.

The 20 is a bit pricey, but if it's good, I guess having had coming on 8 years of service from the 10 I might get one.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby scoob999 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:I'd be intereested to hear how folks are getting on with the 20.

Bought my Active 10 at the begining of 2010. Used it loads. Only problem was the flap that covers the USB port which broke off within the year. Didn't want to send it back for repair so it generally lives inside the SATMAP silicone cover. But other than that it's been a fantastic bit of kit.

The 20 is a bit pricey, but if it's good, I guess having had coming on 8 years of service from the 10 I might get one.

Don't think I'd recommend it :? Despite it having a faulty battery "which was replaced" they reckon the battery will be good for 11hrs? I doubt it but not given it a good test since I got it back, also the usb flap at the bottom is useless, it comes with a spare flap and you can buy packets of 10 from the website....And I still can't get the altimeter to anything less than 10-20m of the proper height, might just be me though :?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Gareth Harper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:20 pm

they reckon the battery will be good for 11hrs?

Isn't that 11hrs fully powered up? In actual use doesn't it depend on your power settings. My Active 10 will run for days on a single charge.
Gareth Harper

Postby central_hillwalker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi,

Are you still selling this?

Thanks!
central_hillwalker
Mountain Walker

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
they reckon the battery will be good for 11hrs?

Isn't that 11hrs fully powered up? In actual use doesn't it depend on your power settings. My Active 10 will run for days on a single charge.

Runs for days! Quite so but in trickle mode or hibernation mode. But in use and what it is meant to be used for 11 hours is about right. Phones are similar can be in standby mode charged for days but when using high energy resources such as GPS the battery drains extremely fast.
crfishwick

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Runs for days! Quite so but in trickle mode or hibernation mode. But in use and what it is meant to be used for 11 hours is about right.

The power settings on my Active 10 are;

Power Saving - Off after 30 minutes.
Screen off - 1 minute
Alert when screen off - off

I do tend to power it up at the start of a walk, and then prompt it every half hour or so as I like it to log the route details etc.

I think the key is not to have the screen needlessly powered up.

TGO have a review on their web site - http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/review/review-satmap-active-20-gps/
I really like the idea of having 1:50,000 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 maps loaded on the unit.

The review reckons 10hrs for the battery but doesn’t state what power settings if any they used. So that figure tells me nothing really. The default settings on the Active Ten will keep the screen powered up whenever the unit is on, which is gonna just drain the battery pretty quick.

I note the touch screen, but thankfully that can be turned off – but it’s still another pointless feature to pay for.
I am surprised at the USB port cover. Would have thought after it having been a flawed design on the 10 they would have gone for a belt and braces option on the 20. That’s really disappointing.

I don’t know anything about Garmin units.
Gareth Harper

Postby crfishwick » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:
Runs for days! Quite so but in trickle mode or hibernation mode. But in use and what it is meant to be used for 11 hours is about right.

The power settings on my Active 10 are;

Power Saving - Off after 30 minutes.
Screen off - 1 minute
Alert when screen off - off

I don’t know anything about Garmin units.

That explains why your Active 10s battery life lasts days. :clap: Any gps would last days after switching off after 30 minutes. :wink: The thing won't use juice till booted up again. A typical Garmin will run for at least 20 hours at full belt. No contest in my opinion. :D

If you read other reviews about Satmap that are not biased you will see what faults the Act 10 and 12 have. I upgraded to the 12. What a mistake but returned as not fit for purpose. plus it lasted only 2 years as their front line GPS till the 20 came out.

I will wait and see what a Act 20 is like compared to the leading manufacturer of GPSs.
crfishwick

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 pm

That explains why your Active 10s battery life lasts days. :clap: Any gps would last days after switching off after 30 minutes. :wink: The thing won't use juice till booted up again. A typical Garmin will run for at least 20 hours at full belt. No contest in my opinion. :D

It's set to 30 minutes so it shuts down when it's not needed. As I say pretty much every walk I do I prompt it every 30-40 minutes so it stays generally powered up.

Like I say bought my Active10 at the begining of 2010. Yup the USB flap broke off. It's crashed a handful of times. I think that's a result of asking it to power up when it's already in the process of shutting down - since I noted that it's never crashed.

I've never run out of charge. As far as I am concerned, I've been using it for years and its been brilliant bit of kit.
Gareth Harper

Postby crfishwick » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:

I've never run out of charge. As far as I am concerned, I've been using it for years and its been brilliant bit of kit.

I have had one since the first day they were marketed. So do have a bit of experience with the said units. :roll:
crfishwick

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:52 pm

I have had one since the first day they were marketed. So do have a bit of experience with the said units. :roll:

Thanks for sharing your experiance. It was very informative. :lol:
Gareth Harper

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk