walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

One person tent

One person tent

Postby rokkiebalboa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:45 am

Hello

In my quest for the ideal tent for my Scotland-adventure this summer... (Excuse me for my English :) )
I know what I want in description. Feel free to give your input about specific types!

- Since it will be for a long distance trek, I would prefer some space inside, so more the size of a two persons tent

- I would like to be able to sit upright

- With porch

- The inside layer see-through/fly-screen (Normally I use a shelter, so really dislike the 'closed-in-tent-feeling')
The more open feeling, the better.

- So 3-season will do. I've read that you can find good quality for an acceptable price in this 3-season-range.

- Weight: Under 2 kg (4,4 pound according to this online converter :) ) would be nice. The lighter the better ofcourse, but quality and durability are equally important to me, so I wouldn't mind going up the weighing scale. So something that I can trust during heavy winds and rains.

Thank you so much in advance
and enjoy daydreaming about a next trip!
Kind regards
Elien from Belgium
rokkiebalboa

Re: One person tent

Postby Scottk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

How much can you spend? Tarptent Scarp or Scarp 2 could be perfect for you but can only be ordered from the US. Hubba hubba 2 or the NX2 as well. Someone is selling a Nemo Hornet 2 on the TGO challenge forum.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:35 pm

An alternative to the Hubba Hubba is the suspiciously similar LuxeOutdoor Sil Habitat. I have one and it is superb in all but the very worst of wind, when its a bit too bendy. Can be got from Backpackinglight. I reviewed it elsewhere: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/49600-Tent-Review-Luxe-Outdoor-Sil-Habitat Do read the additional stuff about its performance in a storm later in the thread.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby StevenF » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:31 pm

I use a MLD trailstar and for the summer in Scotland I would combine it with a inner net. A lot of space, very good protection from the wind and no "closed in" feeling. And very very light :-) Depending on your location in Belgium you can try it out in my back yard ;-)
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby Mylo73 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 pm

A two person but an extremely roomy one person tent that I use when hiking with the dog. Only 1.5 kgs with a huge porch is the Nordisk Halland 2 LW

Shop around as prices vary greatly.

Alternatively:

The Big Agnes Copper Spur ULW is a very roomy one person tent
Mylo73
Mountaineer

Postby rokkiebalboa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi

Thank you for the tips!! Really nice.
The MLD Trailstar, what a discovery. It looks perfect.
I live close to Eeklo btw, you?

Which inner would be good enough to stand up Scottish bugs? I've read stuff about Ookworks, or did you purchase by MLD itself? Some mesh might be good in some areas but not in the Scottish one etc... Does anybody knows something about this?

It will be quite an investment, but it looks like the durable allrounder that I was looking for.

Looking forward to it!
Greetings
Elien
rokkiebalboa

Postby StevenF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:43 pm

I got an inner net from bear paw, but I don't really like it, it's impossible to pitch "nice". That aside, it does serve it's purpose. I decided on bear paw because Ookworks apparently has really long delivery time (over 6 months, which is just too much) and it's cheaper then MLD.
If there are no midges I prefer to just use the inner tent as a floor, if there are midges it's really easy to attach the net to the top of the trailstar and --> protected. Takes 1 minute.

The trailstar I love. You can pitch it open when the weather is fine, really close to the ground when there is a lot of wind. You can cook inside, so much space, so light and easy to pitch. The only downside is that when the weather is bad you have to pitch it quite low, making sitting up difficult.

<-- Kortenberg
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby Will N To » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:39 am

Thanks all. This was a good question and the tent options suggested were almost all completely unknown to me. A lot of terrific options and good ideas. Much appreciated
Will N To
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk