walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Recomend some shoes for scrambling and boggy-ness please?

Recomend some shoes for scrambling and boggy-ness please?

Postby Daymoth » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Hello all

I am one of those people that try to go hill walking only when the weather is good. Please dont judge me, I am from sunny spain.

However this is really limiting my options since I live in the UK, and I want to embrace the rain, fog and bogs and get out more (train disruptions permitting...). I also want to get more scrambling practice ( I suck).

For summer I use fell runners.
For my new winter hill walking learning experiences I have full on winter mountaineering boots.

Its the in between I am looking for. I have some good old goretex boots that could use a retirement, and that are not that great for edging or getting into cracks.

So could you recomend me some models to check out and use as references that can do the folowing:
- Are waterproof- ish to handle bogs and sideways rain.
- Have a "technical shape" and grippy sole for scrambling.
- Can use C1 or C2 crampons in case I magically get really good and want to use them in the alps ( wishful thinking).
- Are light and confortable to just to good old hill walking, not only scrambles.

Im thinking maybe something like trango trk could fit the bill? or aproach shoes with an agressive sole that can handle boggy terrain?
What do you think? What should I investigate and try on?

Cheers!
Daymoth
Scrambler

Re: Recomend some shoes for scrambling and boggy-ness please

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:10 am

Scarpa Rebel Lite would do all your asking, we have used them summer and winter, walking and scrambling, a good all rounder.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Daymoth » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:19 am

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Scarpa Rebel Lite would do all your asking, we have used them summer and winter, walking and scrambling, a good all rounder.

Oh I know those and hadnt thought about them! Its a good point! I will try them on. Ta!
Daymoth
Scrambler

Postby prog99 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 am

Salewa Raven is another option which I used for exactly the scenarios you described. The previous model which I had was a more subtle colour than the current blue one.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Daymoth » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:21 am

prog99 wrote:Salewa Raven is another option which I used for exactly the scenarios you described. The previous model which I had was a more subtle colour than the current blue one.

Interesting! I will check them out! Thankyou!!
Daymoth
Scrambler

Postby Will N To » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:11 pm

I have knee length waterproof socks, and smartwool socks that wick exceptionally well, and a pair of water shoes (12.3 oz) that are also my camp shoes. My main boots are Keen ankle high waterproof boots.
I have the notion that I can do major stream crossings in the knee lengths and water shoes, everything else with my Keen boots. The waterproof socks have a pretty good fit at the top so I think I can even go deeper than the tops.
For me smart wool socks just wick the water away from my feet. I can squeeze them out, put them back on. Not too bad. But this was with mesh-lightweight boots.
I think my issues is if I get water inside my Keen waterproof boots, they don't breathe much. Should I get a pair of mesh hikers?
Cape Wrath Trail I imagine is the proving grounds. What do you wear? What do you recommend?
Thank you
[Warstory.... If you really want to appreciate smartwool, spend 40 years wearing cotton socks. In Michigan we were ice fishing--cotton socks make it almost like Scott in the Antarctic. One guy is wearing a couple of layers of cheap polyester dress socks from the discount store. "I couldn't find my 'good' socks." We laughed at him. He was embarrassed. We complained about our cold toes. He said, 'mine are okay.' We were oblivious for another 20 years. We did take to wearing pantyhose; then someone said 'have you heard about capoliine?' ]
Will N To
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk