walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scarpa Manta Boots

Scarpa Manta Boots

Postby nbrannigan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Recently bought a pair of Manta's for winter mountaineering. First pair of B2's and trying them on they feel great :D got enough room in them and they allow decent ankle flex. The problem I have had with them is getting sore calves after walking around the block. Also got a sore heel in them. Is this just a result of new winter boots being stiffer than what I am used to? or just because i have been walking around the streets :lol: ? Annoying because they feel fine to walk in just afterwards I am confused about what is causing the problem.
Thanks!
nbrannigan
Stravaiging

Munros:265   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Scarpa Manta Boots

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Not sure about the sore calf, do you mean the top of the boot is rubbing or that you're getting some sort of calf strain?

As for the heels, that simply means your heel is moving in the boot. You need to stop this, however stiff a boot is or isn't. If they're the right fit, make sure your lacing is good, especially the "big" eyelets 3rd from the top if they're like mine. Those and the ones above need to be particularly tight for me not to get heel lift.

You can also play with insoles to change the height of the heel in the boot if necessary.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby brother52 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 pm

The sore calf is probably down to there being less flex in the sole. Obviously this is to accomodate crampons. I would think the lack of flex in the sole will be the reason you are cramping in the calf. I have scarpa manta pro’s for winter use and love them. Wouldnt want to walk around the block on them, but in snow they are great boots, with crampons they are a hodsend to me. As previous reply has said, you dont want movement in your foot wearing boots as that is the first cause of blisters. Lacing ip in a different way or insoles should help to eradicate and remember you will have different sized feet so dont necessarily need insoles in both boots. Its a trial and error but you want to do it begore venturing out on the hills. Be an idea to take xinc tape and compeed plasters with you on the first few trips out with them.
brother52

Munros:74   

Postby Challum » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 pm

I like my Manta boots! You need to stop your feet moving inside your boots. Perhaps there is too much volume, in which case you need to buy flat inserts and place them under your insoles. This effectively move the insoles higher up and lessens the space available for your feet to move around.
Challum

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 am

I have Mantas, which I only don for heavy winter use with crampons. Being B2s, they have a very stiff sole, so I get cramp in my feet and sore calves if I try to walk on non-snowy ground in them. I certainly wouldn't want to walk any distance in them off snow.

Having said the above, I find them absolutely wonderful in appropriate conditions - superbly warm and absolutely damp-proof.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Fiona Reid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 am

I suspect that it's the stiffness of the the boots that is causing your calf issues. The heel pain could be down to the stiffness too but you might be able to improve that with some different insoles, e.g. something that offers some padding/cushioning. With normal boots your feet and the boot bend as you walk. Winter boots don't bend much and thus the impact forces are higher.

FWIW I find all winter boots unpleasant to walk in when on a hard surface like tarmac, landrover tracks etc but once on softer terrain or snow etc they are usually fine.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Fudgie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 pm

I've got the same boots and put the stiffness in my calves down to the effort in covering a big distance in heavy boots. Anything over 10 miles does have me really feeling it the next day although I wear them all year round as they've kept my feet bone dry when they're plunged into bogs, rivers and anything else that's out there.

I climbed Mullach Clach a' Blair and Sgor Gaoith last year and realised as I was ready to leave that I couldn't find my boots so I did the walk in a pair of trainers :oops: The next day my legs were stiff but noticeably less than when I have my boots on.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:50 pm

Stiff-soled boots are really, really bad for the calves. And the knees. And the hips. And the feet. And the back.

Basically, they're gonna hurt. I simply can't wear them, on order of my physiotherapist (I have a minor back problem). He also says that even for people who don't find them a problem, they're making problems that will affect them in later life. Your feet and ankles need to flex.

Obviously, the choice is yours though :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk