walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Camera Tripod Advice

Camera Tripod Advice

Postby willsdad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi,
Could someone 'in the know' give me some advice?
I'm getting more interested in photography and I need a tripod to use with my camera. I tend to do multi day trails so it needs to be fairly lightweight. It doesn't need to be a high one either.
The camera I'll be using it with is a Canon SX60HS.

I don't have a massive budget and, as I'm just getting started, I thought a used one off ebay would do. I've been looking at Manfrotto...are these a decent make?

I am basically wanting to take slower shutter speed shots for the water movement etc...and for this I need to put the camera on a tripod. Just a foot or two of height would be enough. As I'll be carrying it for long distances, it can't be too heavy.

I don't really have a clue so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Re: Camera Tripod Advice

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

I don't believe in lightweight tripods. Manfrotto is a decent make, and when I go out to take photos of orchids I take one along. But it hurts because it is heavy. If there are stones or something you can always custom build a tripod. Backpack may help, too. The Gorilla tripods might be OK for you as they are small, but I don't have any experience. And don't forget to use the timer or a remote control.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Skyelines » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 pm

I have a Manfrotto tripod, one of the heavier models, it is well made and would trust other models in their range.

I also have a Mefoto Roadtrip which is lighter (1.6kg) and collapses smaller. Fully extended it does feel less rigid but a hook underneath means some weight can be hung to increase stability.

The lighter one goes rigidity decreases.

One of my camera/long lens combinations weighs in at 4kg and though a bit wobbly on the lighter tripod by using shutter delay or a remote to allow the wobble to stop before the picture is taken I've managed 30 second or more exposures with good results. High wind speed can be a problem when tripod extended.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby willsdad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:00 pm

walkingpoles wrote:Backpack may help, too.
walkingpoles wrote:And don't forget to use the timer or a remote control.

Using my backpack is a genius idea...why didn't I think of that??? :clap:
Yes my plan was to use the timer.

Skyelines wrote:weighs in at 4kg
Skyelines wrote:Mefoto Roadtrip which is lighter (1.6kg)

Good God! Seriously? I thought more like 500g ish. 4kg is about a third of my whole pack weight.

The rigidity is my worry. My son has one of those flexi legged tripods which I tried with my camera. It just collapsed under the weight....although that could be for the many years use as a toy octopus...
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 pm

A beanbag combined with your rucksack might do it. The beanbag allows fine adjustment of the camera position.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:34 pm

I have a Manfrotto basic tripod, which is well made and a good bit of kit, though I accept for truly professional photography it isn't substantial enough. And therein lines the problem - without some heft a tripod will not perform as well, especially in wind.

However, for an away trip canoeing, where I had to fly with all my kit including the folding canoe, it was too heavy. I bought a really cheap plastic small tripod(<£25) thinking it would be rubbish, but its actually quite reasonable, and whilst its only small, it far more stable than a Gorillapod type, which I've tried before, and manages my Canon 700D with an 18-135mm lens for long exposures. It doesn't have a quick release type mount, so you have to screw it in each time you use it. The very fact that it isn't very tall means its still quite stable. It looks like this discontinued one though not sure its the same one as this claims to be aluminium where mine is mostly plastic: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/velbon-ex-mini-tripod-with-2-way-head-1547622/

I've also tried those really small bendy leg tripods, but they're not able to handle anything other than a small compact.

The reality is that for most use, I'd be better off with a beanbag perched on top of stuff, and I rarely take a tripod now.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby KatTai » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm

I just use my rucksack. Like the beanbag idea though so might get one of those as well to put between camera and rucksack.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Postby willsdad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the advice.
Can't believe I didn't think of using my backpack. :crazy:

Mal - that link you posted looks just like the ones I've been looking at on eBay. Just under 500g.

A small beanbag is a good idea for levelling.

I'm out for a wander in Knoydart next month so I'll give the backpack / beanbag combo a whirl.
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm

I can't stand tripods, it's like wrestling with an angry octopus. Learn to brace your arms and breathe slowly. These days with digital and noise reduction I'll increase the ISO before I'll be bothered to arse about with tripods.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Non-native here. Can somebody post a picture/link of these bean bags in question? I only know the ones which you use as a chair or the ones you use for juggling, both of which don't appear to do the trick.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:13 pm

walkingpoles wrote:Non-native here. Can somebody post a picture/link of these bean bags in question? I only know the ones which you use as a chair or the ones you use for juggling, both of which don't appear to do the trick.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/111695038866?chn=ps&adgroupid=51701849453&rlsatarget=pla-413070000448&abcId=1133946&adtype=pla&merchantid=113613468&poi=&googleloc=1007246&device=c&campaignid=1058609649&crdt=0

A smaller one would sometimes work. I know people who have used beanbag animal toys...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 am

This was something I was looking into last year. I carried all my camping gear plus camera kit up to Sgurr na Stri last year, and even with one of SRB's carbon fibre tripods, the kit was pretty heavy. I invested in one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIRUI-T-005X-Tripod-Ballhead-Aluminium/dp/B00AZTCHES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518567513&sr=8-1&keywords=sirui+t-005x

It's about 1kg and will take my Sony A7ii plus a 28-70mm lens easily. If sturdiness is a worry, I just hang my back from the hook on the centre support column. Also, when fully retracted it easily fits inside a day sack.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby jolly47roger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 pm

If you are looking at exposures of a fraction of a second (e.g 1/10, 1/5) rather than several seconds maybe a unipod would do what you want. Much lighter, obviously.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby crfishwick » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:18 pm

willsdad wrote:Hi,
Could someone 'in the know' give me some advice?
I'm getting more interested in photography and I need a tripod to use with my camera. I tend to do multi day trails so it needs to be fairly lightweight. It doesn't need to be a high one either.
The camera I'll be using it with is a Canon SX60HS.

I don't have a massive budget and, as I'm just getting started, I thought a used one off ebay would do. I've been looking at Manfrotto...are these a decent make?

I am basically wanting to take slower shutter speed shots for the water movement etc...and for this I need to put the camera on a tripod. Just a foot or two of height would be enough. As I'll be carrying it for long distances, it can't be too heavy.

I don't really have a clue so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Any cheap lightweight tripod should suffice IMHO also a beanbag or minipod,.To combat shake just hang a taut weight (your rucksack typically) below the centre column. As the camera you are referring too is a bridge camera and light compared to a fully fledged DSLR.

The professional type tripods not needed such as Manfrotto,Slik and Velbon etc. Unless purchased second hand and maybe a bargain.
crfishwick

Postby garryjoshi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:35 am

I am currently using Manfrotto tripod. It's lightweight and easy to carry. Will recommend you the same.
garryjoshi
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk