walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scotland's Winter Mountains with one axe - Garry Smith

Scotland's Winter Mountains with one axe - Garry Smith

Postby arjh » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Sort of gear, didn't know where to post this...

Anyway, just to extol the virtues of this brilliant book which has only been out for about a month now. I heard about it after buying the North Wales Scrambles book by the same author which is also excellent. Put it on my birthday wish list and got what I wanted...

The book is not the same format as the 'pocket' scrambling guide, instead being slightly larger than A5 and hardcover. This makes the quality photography (in all weather conditions) more prominent. Route descriptions are the same format as the North Wales book, with uncluttered mapping and the odd bit of dry wit thrown in.

The difficulty threshold is grade I, I/II and II winter routes, nothing higher (as per the 'one axe' title). Excellent coverage of how differing ground conditions could potentially affect the route grade. About half the 30 routes are grade I and a good mix of ridges and gullies are provided. There are two main clusters of about 10 routes each around Lochaber and Torridon/Glen Carron, with further smaller groups of 2-3 routes each on An Teallach, Skye, Glen Shiel, Glen Spean and the Cairngorms.

I have no connection to the author but this is such a great book I really had to recommend it to like-minded souls! If you fancy a copy head to http://www.northernedgebooks.co.uk/
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Re: Scotland's Winter Mountains with one axe - Garry Smith

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:22 pm

We met 4 folk on Fuar Tholl last week who were doing one of the walks in this, and were also very complimentary about it. Though they do know Garry and are in some of the photos apparently! Must get a copy.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Ben Nachie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Might be my kind of book. I only own one axe. I've only ever owned one axe. A Mountain Equipment "Glencoe" that I bought in 1988.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby tensacks » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:54 am

Just purchased this on recommendation of this thread. Money well spent, cracking book, and I love the understated cover.
tensacks
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk