walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby terrymccollough » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 am

Hello All,

I will be hiking/wild camping the West Highland Way next month early/mid April and am considering either synthetic or hydrophobic down sleeping bag. I own both, so it is just a matter of deciding which to bring, Big Agnes Encampment 15 (synthetic) or Mystic UL 15 (hydrophobic down). Any thoughts?

Best,

Terry McCollough
terrymccollough
Scrambler

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby Will N To » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:22 pm

And if anyone else is allergic to down but found down bags that don't cause problems. (I get a stuffy nose, sinus pressure headache, might just be cheap down) The weight and packing advantages are just too compelling. Thanks.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 pm

I would always choose down over synthetic, if the bags are of a similar warmth. Lighter, more compressible, and somehow just nicer to sleep in, less sweaty, softer etc.

I use down all year, whatever the weather. I just make sure it doesn't get wet, its not too difficult unless you're regularly bivvying out without a tent/tarp.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Mal Grey wrote:I would always choose down over synthetic, if the bags are of a similar warmth. Lighter, more compressible, and somehow just nicer to sleep in, less sweaty, softer etc.

I use down all year, whatever the weather. I just make sure it doesn't get wet, its not too difficult unless you're regularly bivvying out without a tent/tarp.

This.

Bonus with hydrophobic down is it works better in damp conditions in comparison to traditional down feathers.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby terrymccollough » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 am

Robinho08 wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:I would always choose down over synthetic, if the bags are of a similar warmth. Lighter, more compressible, and somehow just nicer to sleep in, less sweaty, softer etc.

This.

Bonus with hydrophobic down is it works better in damp conditions in comparison to traditional down feathers.

Hello Folks,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with the down. I was not sure how well it would hold up with the ambient moisture I am due to expect over the course of 6/7 days. I can certainly keep it protected from direct moisture, ie rain/ground, but the condensation build up in the tent and general moisture in the air had me second guessing.

Terry
terrymccollough
Scrambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:12 am

I'd go with down. If it gets a bit damp, which it very well might, take the opportunity of any dry or sunny spell in the middle of the day to stop and take a break and lay your bag out for half an hour to dry out.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:20 pm

terrymccollough wrote:
Robinho08 wrote:

This.

Hello Folks,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with the down. I was not sure how well it would hold up with the ambient moisture I am due to expect over the course of 6/7 days. I can certainly keep it protected from direct moisture, ie rain/ground, but the condensation build up in the tent and general moisture in the air had me second guessing.

Terry

I remember being paranoid about a summit camp in subzero temperatures. Some of the inner froze, bur condensation was dripping onto my down bag, but it coped fine and wasn't a hydrophobic effort either.

As Ben Nachie said, air your bag out during the hike. If it was sunny in the morning I'd put my sleeping bag over my poles to air while I made breakfast and broke camp.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby terrymccollough » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:42 am

Robinho08 wrote:I remember being paranoid about a summit camp in subzero temperatures. Some of the inner froze, bur condensation was dripping onto my down bag, but it coped fine and wasn't a hydrophobic effort either.

As Ben Nachie said, air your bag out during the hike. If it was sunny in the morning I'd put my sleeping bag over my poles to air while I made breakfast and broke camp.

Indeed, it is a bit of paranoia. Thank you for helping me realise it.
terrymccollough
Scrambler

Postby Hola » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Save weight and look at Quilts..Synthetic good for the damp UK.
Wouldn't go back to a sleeping bag if you paid me now.
Custom made if possible
Hola
Scrambler

Postby giuliapeddi » Tue May 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Hope you don't mind if I tag along in this conversation!

I'm considering getting an Enlightened Equipment sleep system and I'm thinking double quilt combination with a "main" hydrophobic down quilt and a lightweight (50°F) synthetic one to put on top. This should help condensation form on the outer quilt instead of the down one.

However I'm wondering if I'm overthinking this and one dridown quilt might be enough for 3-season Scotland? Or if I should play it safe and go with a synthetic one that I'm more sure will hold up?

I plan to use this with the EE Recon bivy or an inner tent (according to midges threat) and either a Trailstar or a Wickiup 3. My dream hiking locations are mostly northen Europe: Scotland, Scandinavia, Iceland, etc.

Thanks to everyone who'll chime in!
giuliapeddi
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk