walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

A warm jacket for stops during hiking?

A warm jacket for stops during hiking?

Postby Andrizzle » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi experts,
I'm doing a 120 mile pilgrimage / hike in the northwest of scotland on easter week and am struggling to identify a good jacket to put on during hike stops. We'll likely be exposed to the elements during stops, and I tend to feel the cold more than others. :D During the walk itself I'll be well catered for as am wearing largely Paramo kit, but I was wondering whether a down option, maybe one of these two, might be worth it? - Berghaus claim they last pretty well in the rain:

Mens Ramche Micro Down Jacket (Light Blue)
https://www.sportpursuit.com/mens-ramche-micro-down-jacket-adriatic

Mens Ulvetanna Hybrid 2.0 Down Jacket (Light Blue)
https://www.sportpursuit.com/mens-ulvetanna-2-0-hybrid-down-jacket-adriatic-snorkel-blue

Thanks everyone! :)

Andrew
Andrizzle
Ambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:1

Re: A warm jacket for stops during hiking?

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Personally, I'd go for the lighter one for a longer trip like yours, though as there is no direct comparison of warmth or fill, its hard to judge the performance.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Scottk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Have a look at the OEX down jacket from go outdoors. It gets brilliant reviews - see the one by Chris Townsend on the TGO website. For a better quality one, phd have a sale starting next week. The minimus jacket is £215 in the sale.
If you think that you will be exposed to the weather, I would lean towards getting synthetic insulation instead of down.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:50 pm

I researched this a bit last year to try to understand the factors that would make for a warm jacket - in essence, trying to answer the question: how do I compare down jackets' warmth performance?

What I've understood is that there are 2 main factors: the weight of down in the jacket; and its lofting power (650, 700, 850 etc.). Also the type of down has an effect, because, gram for gram, goose down provides greater insulation.

I would recommend you read up on these things before you buy. On the face of it, the 2 jackets you mention are not really comparable: the Ramche has 3 times as much down (by weight) in it as the Ulvetanna, and it has a higher lofting power.

I didn't keep track of all the sites I visited during my research, but this one would probably be a good start...
http://www.adventurepoet.com/adventure/gear-tips/outdoor-gear-insulation-ratings-explained/

Good luck with your choice.

PS I didn't follow my own advice! In the end I bought a super cheap paklite down jacket from Go Outdoors. The fill weight isn't given, so it's impossible to compare objectively with other products, but on offer at £20 I thought I couldn't lose, and it's been fine for the moderately low temperatures I've used it in. Also the tiny size/low weight was very attractive. Instead of replacing my kit I use it in conjunction with an older and much heavier Berghaus jacket.

Finally, the warmest jacket I have by a country mile is a synthetic jacket, that I use when camping near the car - but it's no use when walking because it just doesn't pack down.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby motorlaunch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 am

Will this item be part of your overall layering system. If not, why carry the extra weight. When I stop, I just add further layers even putting on the waterproof shell when the temperature is cool.
motorlaunch
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:52 pm

I've got a paramo synthetic (Velez) jacket that goes on during stops. I have a down jacket too but I don't tend to use it in wet weather as the paramo is excellent and stands up to all sorts of weather and it can go on top of your paramo coat. Down is a disaster if it gets wet. My down jacket is Alpkit and is excellent too
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Robinho08 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:25 am

Don't have any knowledge of your two suggested jackets. But I use a Montane Prism jacket for 3 season use.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby hbeevers » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Get a good synthetic belay jacket to put on over the top of your Paramo kit, this works well for a few reasons:

No need to remove the Paramo jacket - I just wear a baselayer under mine so removing it on a summit will get me cold straight away. It's also a faff and putting back on a potentially now cold, soggy Paramo after your lunch stop isn't great.

Weather won't matter - chucking a synthetic over your wet Paramo is fine as synthetic will still retain warmth when wet, it can also be stuffed back into the bag while wet without having to worry. As above, with down in really wet weather you'd want it under your Paramo which isn't ideal.

Down has it's place though, if it's properly cold to the point where wet weather is just not really a worry then the weight saving and straight warmth of down is brilliant.

Personally I'd look at the Alpkit Apogee for the price or Mountain Equipment Fitzroy for the quality.
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Postby Will N To » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:28 pm

I just addressed this problem, but I may have gotten it slightly wrong. I wanted a really warm layer (but decided against fleece because fleece doesn't compact and I'm going to a place where every other occupant is a sheep.... great excuse to buy a sweater.)
My criteria: lightweight, warm, water resistant, packable (so I can have it in my lightweight day bag without looking like I'm smuggling balloons), and while reading the reviews I added: breathable not sweaty.
I found this page of reviews https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-synthetic-insulated-jackets
Seemed better than most similar 'best ofs'. I learned a couple of things. 1. synthetic insulation seems to be gaining fast on down (personally can't speak for down, my nose immediately stuffs up, sinus pressure, can't be around it--unless it's still on the goose) 2. Some of these jackets 'breathe'--so they seem to be comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. "Oh you mean like a sweater?" and some the wind seems to blow right through--and costs twice as much.
So off to REI (American for Cotswolds). Ended up ordering a Patagonia Nano-Puff Hoody (different from the Nano-Air, and the Micro-Puff....) Which it turns out one review said 'sweaty' another said 'breathable.' Or I just got it wrong; in the end I don't think it'll be that critical. It stuffs small--most of the jackets on the list do not. And they don't. (The ArcTerx was better as an overall, but it stuffed as willingly as an angry-12 year old.)
One that was high on my list was the RAB Xenon-X, warm, packable, not locally available for me, but it is for you.
In the store I noticed a lot of these jackets have fabric back panels. Total surprise. None of the photos show anything except the puffy parts. Weird. I don't think they're just cheating on the insulation. I think they figured out people want the puffy look, and fabric panels didn't fit the 'look'. It must be that the lower back is where we generate a lot of heat and sweat, it's covered by the backpack... I figure they know what they're doing. (Fashion? Ha. In a couple of years everything we have will be Cuben/Dyneema and Tyek house wrap, and were all going to crinkle and crunch. 'Great gear, but don't forget your hearing protection....')
I expect the jacket I bought to be toasty warm, trekking and in camp, but with my rain jacket as a shell if it's windy or rainy, also as an option in my sleeping bag (I sleep cold.) In the city it'll be in my day bag.
Hope this helps.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby simon-b » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 pm

I find a synthetic insulation gillet makes a good rest stop or emergency 4th layer. As it's sleeveless it saves weight and packs to a very small size, but does the job as it keeps your core warm. You can pick a size to use either as a second midlayer, or a quick warmth overshell layer.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:33 am

Don't know these two but I am a Berghaus fan. I still use a Berghaus Ignite Hoody which I think is about 4 or 5 years old now - synthetic insulation Primaloft One with a Pertex Microlight outer - hood is great for keeping the head warm - I just put it on over the top of what I'm wearing for stops and camps. At home it goes in the wash then low tumble dry which reinvigorates it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby boriselbrus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm

If you are wearing Paramo anyway surely the answer is to get the Paramo Torres gilet. Designed to go over waterproofs during breaks to keep you warm when you stop. Works perfectly in my experience.
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby EmilyD » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Mountain Equipment Citadel. Best thing, ever. Heavier than most of things mentioned, but worth it if you are a lizard.
EmilyD
Stravaiging

Munros:251   Corbetts:42
Donalds:6

Postby EileanB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:48 am

Another vote for the Paramo Gilet. It packs up small, it's light and you just put it on over your jacket when you stop. It still keeps you warm if it's wet.
I bought one a few years ago thinking it was a bit of an extravagance and reckon it's now my favourite bit of kit. It goes into the rucksack on pretty much every walk and you hardly know it's there.
On really bad days I have been known to wear it in the house!
EileanB
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk