walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Ripstop mitten covers. Lightweight

Ripstop mitten covers. Lightweight

Postby Will N To » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 am

I'm hoping to do some sea kayaking while in Scotland. I do need gloves or mittens for chilly weather and midges. I've got some fleece mittens I like: 3.35 ounces. The ends pop off so I can use my fingers. (I've got chilly fingers so I prefer mittens.) If the weather is warm and the midges want to lick through the Smidge to eat my hands, the fleece mittens will be too warm.
So I whipped up some waterproof ripstop nylon (it was on hand) mitten covers that go all the way past my elbows. This way I can wear the fleece mittens underneath while paddling.
I'll seam seal them, (this part I didn't think through in advance. I guess welding or glue is actually the better way to make them) . They should be okay-- even if they leak a bit while paddling. Pre-sealant they weigh, 1.8 ounces. I'll probably smear the palms with a little Goop or sealant for better grip.
They weren't hard to make, the fit is definitely oversized. I basically followed the design on http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/myog-shell-mittens.3779/ but made them 26" over all length. At the top end I ran some 1/8" shock cord around and stitched a seam. The three part design I worked from seems to work really well with the thumb, which is the only critical part.
I have a sewing machine, but I think they could be easily glued along the edges then turned inside out.
Will N To
Scrambler

Re: Ripstop mitten covers. Lightweight

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 pm

Impressive! :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Will N To » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks. But there's more. After I sealed them ( GE 100% Silicone clear in the toothpaste sized tube thinned with mineral spirits or 'paint thinner'. It doesn't seem to mix evenly, but it's all good. Brush it on with a little brush sold in packs of 4 in the plumbing department for solder flux--there, just saved you a some money. Mix it in something metal or it'll eat right through the plastic. I wrapped tin foil around a top from a spray can; it kept its shape and is ready for another round.)

So I sealed all the seams, hung them in the sun to cure. Later when I started turning them inside out I thought, just blow into them. It was like there was a huge hole somewhere. So I took some of the fabric, which I'd assumed was water proof filled a small pocket... and water seeped through.
Well, do all that over again with silnylon. But then I put them on and held them under the faucet: no leaks, no drips inside. It's not some kind of Goretex. The mitten covers? They're light enough to take along, but I will make a new pair--they'll be submerged as I paddle. The gaiters made with the same material? Should be fine.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby Will N To » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 am

Made a new and improved pair using Silnylon. Tweaked my pattern, before and after. These fit just right and aren't sloppy without the fleece mittens underneath.
I think these are going to work well. So if in a couple of months you see some puzzled git with a pair of yellow and purple arms, it'll be me. Please point me in the right direction.
This is a screen capture of the Illustrator/PDF file. And I'll see if I can also add a photo.
_D850192.JPG
Mitt hanging up for seam seal to dry
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 5.10.45 PM.png
the pattern. A crisp pdf is available if anyone is interested.
Made
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby mrssanta » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:33 am

very nice
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Will N To » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:32 am

Thanks. I made yet another pair. They're a bit larger and are more useable for more people. I can't figure out how to get a more solid Felled Seam all round. I'm a sewing noob. A felled seam is easier to seal. With my double stitch, turn inside out and then slather on silicone sealant I'm always chasing another hole.

I'd upload more images but I'm a bit fed up with being told 'your image is too big.'
567k? in 2018?
Instead of sharing images it's back and forth chopping file sizes to fit a 1990s dial-up modem standard.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby rockhopper » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Will N To wrote:I'd upload more images but I'm a bit fed up with being told 'your image is too big.'
567k? in 2018?
Instead of sharing images it's back and forth chopping file sizes to fit a 1990s dial-up modem standard.

Easiest way I found was to do a search for "image resizer for windows" then select one and download a free program/app - once installed I just right click on an image, select resize image, pick the size I want and click OK - I think the image needs to be under 690 wide for this site (but not certain)

Re mitten covers - I use a pair of these - OK, not the nicest to look at but they're long enough and waterproof (have even used them when washing the car and fully immersing them with no leakage) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm

You don't have to upload images directly to this site, you can also link to photos from an external image hosting site such as Flickr. No size restrictions that way.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Will N To » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:34 am

Thanks, why has the internet made so much progress in stealing not only our information but also that of everyone we know?
Those covers are good. I was concerned that the stitches in my mitten covers, not being felled seam would be too stretchy to seal with silicone. After a couple of coats they seem pretty good now. I have a smaller pair version 2 and a nicer larger pair V3 that I'll bring. Being concerned that I might not find the head bug net like I want, I took another shot at it today and I have two good ones that should work great.
I'll work on the photo thing next week from your side of the pond (I'll be in London on Monday). Thanks for the tips.
Will N To
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk