walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Leakproof coffee mug for use in the mountains.

Leakproof coffee mug for use in the mountains.

Postby Spunge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi,
Could someone recommend a good quality 100% leak proof thermos coffee mug ( as opposed to a standard thermos) that I can use for mountain treks and which can be popped into a rucksack without any risk of spillage. I'm looking for a mug which will keep the liquid warm for several hours and not leave me with a flooded rucksack after a spell of rugged activity. I've looked online but reviews seem mixed. The majority of thermal mugs are geared towards drivers and cars so are designed to be popped into holders ; is their something more specific to walkers with rucksacks :) ?
Thanks.

Spunge
Spunge
Bird-watcher

Re: Leakproof coffee mug for use in the mountains.

Postby crfishwick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Spunge wrote:Hi,
Could someone recommend a good quality 100% leak proof thermos coffee mug ( as opposed to a standard thermos) that I can use for mountain treks and which can be popped into a rucksack without any risk of spillage. I'm looking for a mug which will keep the liquid warm for several hours and not leave me with a flooded rucksack after a spell of rugged activity. I've looked online but reviews seem mixed. The majority of thermal mugs are geared towards drivers and cars so are designed to be popped into holders ; is their something more specific to walkers with rucksacks :) ?
Thanks.

Spunge

I'd stick to a small thermos. Lighter or as light than these so called travel mugs and don't usually leak as do most "mugs. Plus keeps the liquid hotter or cooler better. Also the 100% leak proof mugs are actually a just a thermos with a on/off button opening.

Unless there is a physical reason for needing a mug?
Try these revues: https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/travel-mugs
crfishwick

Postby jmarkb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:01 pm

https://www.lifeventure.com/products/cookware/thermal-mug
Has a proper sealing lid, but a small thermos would make it easier to avoid spills.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:02 pm

<deleted duplicate post>
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Skyelines » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:36 pm

I have a mug similar to the Lifeventure one made by Aladdin . The seal is not 100% and only keeps hot for a couple of hours. Four hours or more and it is just lukewarm.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby garyoppolis » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 pm

I've tried a cheaper version of that as well that wasn't great but the Lifeventure flasks are properly bombproof.

Had one as my ammo pouch flask in days gone by so it took a bit of a battering and always held up well.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 pm

Lifeventure flask is the best option by a mile. Speaking as someone who worked outdoors every day in all weathers, I got through about 2 mugs a year until I bought the flask, which is now 3 years old and still as good as new. Also, no mug I've ever tried could cope with being tossed around in a rucksack.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby crfishwick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm

BobMcBob wrote:Lifeventure flask is the best option by a mile. Speaking as someone who worked outdoors every day in all weathers, I got through about 2 mugs a year until I bought the flask, which is now 3 years old and still as good as new. Also, no mug I've ever tried could cope with being tossed around in a rucksack.

Agreed a Lifeventure. Although they now produce a mug nowadays but looking at it a Thermos flask with a different top. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Coop » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:46 pm

garyoppolis wrote:I've tried a cheaper version of that as well that wasn't great but the Lifeventure flasks are properly bombproof.

Had one as my ammo pouch flask in days gone by so it took a bit of a battering and always held up well.

I think everyone who has served wouldnt go anywhere without one.
Either in black or if it was silver- it got taped up.

I now carry a 4 quid 3/4 litre flask from b and m.
Keeps the coffee hot for 5 or 6 hours and never leaked
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Will N To » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:37 am

I've got some experience with this, both good and bad. Currently I'm sticking to Klean Kanteen stainless steel thermos and no sipper lids. Screw on and screw off lids only. Every easy open sipper cap.... I've ever used, including the Klean Kanteen sippers may seem okay in the beginning... ALL fail. Contigo? had at least 3 of each of their evolving mugs. Pretty good, but inevitably a fail. Once it cost me a couple of hundred in parts on my MacBook Pro.
Now, even while driving I just wait, unscrew the lid, take a sip.... It's not like were driving the Gran Prix.
Air pressure drops due to altitude increase really play havoc on sipper/commuter tops. You might open the sipper thingy and it'll spit at you. In a bag as pressure changes, an approaching storm is also a pressure drop, they leak to equalize pressure.
The worst leaks always happen when they can do the most damage.
The thermos abilities of the Klean Kanteen? Okay. Not as good as a real thermos.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby lukemunrowalker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 pm

I've been through a few flasks over the years, and can confirm what everyone else is saying about the current fashion for 'cafe caps' = they're 'leakproof' for things like sitting on the cup holder of your car, but when throwing into a rucksack, the attitude should be "If it can leak, it will leak."

As far as brands go, I can +1 on the above users recommendation on the Klean Kanteen, it maybe wins out due to the traditional screw on lid having the metal inner, this isn't the case with the sipper lids, which can taste a bit plasticky when used with coffee/tea. I also have the single walled one for water, and that has the added bonus of being able to be put directly onto a fire / camp stove to heat / purify water when needed. The other brand I would recommend would be Primus, specifically the trailbreak line, the larger ones have both the 'sipping cap' and the screw-on one. I ditched the sipping lid as I just drink straight from the flask, the lip is metal, but seems to stay cool even when the contents are piping hot. The Primus also has a nice design to it, which looks a bit less nerdy when using it on a train and so on.

As for what size, I have a few versions in the 350ml to 550ml range. This gives more versatility of use than forking out for one 1 Litre+ size.

As for the ability to keep drinks warm, flasks have a limit. If your leaving it for over 5 hours you're maybe better off with a teabag, a small ti cup, a wee 250ml gas can and a small stove.

☆Top Tip, for any daytrip items that typically have a flip-up lid, e.g. hand cleaning gel – tape it down with good old gaffa tape.

☆Oh, on the same subject, I can also recommend the Primus trailbreak vaccum lunch jar, it looks great and it works a treat, a hilltop pasta dish makes a nice morale boosting change from the usual cheese sandwich!
lukemunrowalker
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk