walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Regatta-Are they really the worst brand?

Re: Regatta-Are they really the worst brand?

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Some of my gear is 20-30 years old, but it's not hand-me-downs, I bought it.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby gld73 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 pm

People were going up hills before Rab and The North Face were around (and before Regatta was around).

I have stuff from most outdoor brands, and the one piece of clothing I usually have stashed in the bottom of my rucksack is an ancient Regatta waterproof jacket - I rarely wear it as it's my reserve piece to be worn in the worst weather when everything else is on already (it's a couple of sizes too big for me and so will go over everything!). Has a faint smell of tarpaulin, but is the most waterproof and windproof thing imaginable (not the most breathable admittedly, just a couple of holes in the armpits, probably high tech stuff when it came out!). It's about 20 years old and still never lets in a drop of water. Regatta nor anyone else makes anything like it now!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby nick70 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:04 pm

I think your reply to him was well justified. There is no need for comments like that. Each to their own and horses for courses and all that. I have various bits of kit by various manufacturers and what I would say, from personal experience, is that the 2 pieces of Rab gear doesn't work for me.

Now some on here would find that sacrilege, but that's my own take, but I would still not talk someone out of buying it or argue the bit with someone who said its the best thing since sliced bread.

As I said, each to their own.

Anyhows, there's plenty of hills out there, so fingers crossed you don't bump into him again. :shock: :shock:
nick70

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:08 pm

I guess you pays for whats you gets...

I have spent a fortune on stuff but it works and as importantly lasts a long time...
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:38 pm

In a word NO! Anyone who suggests otherwise is a gear snob.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby fireman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Why would you buy the more expensive makes only to find "this is not for me". I started of with the "cheap" army navy surplus at first then gradually bought branded names
fireman
Mountain Walker

Munros:97   Corbetts:23
Fionas:21   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:31   

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm

I started hillwalking in jeans and a wooly jumper with a nylon waterproof. My only ‘decent’ piece of gear was my boots.

My Dad has a friend who gets into a hobby, spends hundreds on the best gear and then gets cross that he’s not immediately brilliant at it and blames the gear. He must have wasted thousands. Don’t be like him :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:34 pm

simon-b wrote:...But one area of equipment I would be wary of among the brands you have mentioned is rucksacks. Friends and I have used cheaper rucksacks in the past, and things on them like buckles and drawstrings can break very easily, sometimes during the first use. ...

On the other hand I got a cheap-as-chips 35 + 10 Eurohike sac about 15 years ago, and it's accompanied my on all my walks, probably over 1500 kms in total, and some of them reasonably big; and it's been absolutely superb: really strong, robustly built (zips etc.), comfortable, no ancilliaries (buckles, etc.) failures - a much loved old old friend. A couple of years ago rodents got to a pocket while it was stored in my loft because I'd left some energy bars in there. But I could fix that to a sufficient level of functionality with safety pins. In December last year the stitching went on a strap, but it was really easy to mend with a needle and linen thread, and it's now back in service.

I recently departed from my cheap-if-it-looks-OK philosophy, and bought some very expensive Haglofs mid walking shoes. They were a joy to wear, rather better than some really cheap shoes I'd previously had (and done long walks in). But after about 6 expeditions, the stitching split, and a hole developed that demonstrated how thin the leather was. I've just returned them and got my money back. Maddening and sad!

You see from this thread that experiences vary widely...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Backpacker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:38 pm

I bought a lot of cheap gear when I started. I started out backpacking and wore a scabby old pair of trainers which o my got binned as the soles fell off.

Gradually over time I've upgraded to better gear as money would allow. I'm still a bit tight and try to justify every purchase. If I can get away with something cheaper I will
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Backpacker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:38 pm

I bought a lot of cheap gear when I started. I started out backpacking and wore a scabby old pair of trainers which o my got binned as the soles fell off.

Gradually over time I've upgraded to better gear as money would allow. I'm still a bit tight and try to justify every purchase. If I can get away with something cheaper I will
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby sbarclay62 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:56 pm

There's gear snobs and (wannabe) elitists in every hobby, i play a bit golf and do some cycling too and its the exact same. If you can afford top of the range stuff then great, bash on but don't knock others who can't.

I spend what I can afford or justify. I usually only venture out late spring, summer and early autumn. I can justify investing more in boots, waterproof jacket and bag as these can impact the walk dramatically. A fleece or t-shirt then not as much, happy to go to the cheaper end of the market (Especially as i'm extremely clumsy and the type who could spend £90 on a fleece only to tear it branch or get a fag burn through it in one wear!)

PS if he thinks Regetta is the worst, then I wonder what he thinks of my lidls gear. 2 fleeces and 2 pairs of stretch trousers for £38.00 this afternoon 8)
sbarclay62
Mountaineer

Munros:6   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby davekeiller » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:09 pm

I wouldn't say Regatta are necessarily the worst. Some of their kit is definitely at the budget end of the market, but it's probably a lot better than what I wore when I started hillwalking as a kid about 20 years ago.
You'll probably find that it's worth paying for quality with some items, but with others you won't notice much difference. For instance, I've never noticed much difference across brands with synthetic baselayers or fleeces, but there's a definite difference in waterproofs and boots.If it kept you comfortable, warm and dry then it's obviously good enough for what you were doing!
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby goth_angel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 pm

What an appalling snobbish attitude from the older guy.

I think given you have just started out Regatta gear was a sensible choice. My original gear was a mix of Regatta, Peter Storm and Mountain Warehouse. To be honest I found the Mountain Warehouse stuff not great and my Peter Storm waterproof wasn't but the Regatta gear held up pretty well. I still buy Regatta fleeces and my back up waterproof is Regatta - I don't take it if the forecast is for heavy rain but it's fine for showers etc.

My main waterproof is RAB but TBH the only gear I have spent more than £100 on is boots. I still did my first 15 Munros in a pair of hi-tecs though. Comfiest boots I've ever had but the grip wasn't the best.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby Goat Peter » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm currently using a Regatta Imber waterproof jacket for my trips to the hills. I am very happy with it. It is much better than my previous North Face jacket and only half the price.
Goat Peter
Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:3   

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:01 pm

I bought a cheapish Regatta jacket which I use principally for golf but stuff in rucksack as a back up. After 2 years water still runs off it without any penetration, lightweight and good wind proofing. Only issue is the quality of the zip which works but is a budget item but the rest works perfectly. Far better than a much more expensive Berghaus but that is another long story and a brand I will never buy again. I was not sure when my wife bought a waterproof Trespass jacket but after many trips works perfectly keeping her dry. So as other people have said so called cheap brands are certainly not always the worst.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk