walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Memory map OS maps on other GPS devices??

Memory map OS maps on other GPS devices??

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm

My 6 year old Memory Map Adventurer GPS is slowly dying and I am looking for an replacement. I have a lot of 25K memory map, maps on my PC, but was told that for example Garmin does only takes the routes and waypoints, but I can't download OS memory maps to a Garmin device. The cheapest Memory map GPS which would take the maps is £400 - a bit too much for my budget.

Does anyone know of a device to which I can download my old memory OS maps? I use the GPS only for the maps, so I am a bit at loss what to do.

If all fails does anyone have a recommendation for a GPS?

Many thanks!!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Memory map OS maps on other GPS devices??

Postby prog99 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 pm

I use the memory map app on my iPhone(android available as well). Only other alternative I think. If your maps are really old the licence may not worth though.

There may be a 3rd party app on Android as well, not sure though.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jolly47roger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am

There used to be a utility called OZIMapTrans that would convert Memory-map files to standard TIF files - but this was withdrawn under pressure from Memory-map. Having converted to this format you would either need to use OZI on a portable device or use another utility like MAPC2MAPC to convert to more popular formats for apps like Alpinequest, Locus, Orux, BackCountryNavigator, Avenza, etc.

But there's no feasible way to move these raster maps to Garmin devices that need vector maps.

But I hear Locus will be releasing a very detailed map based mostly on OS Opendata in the next few weeks so it may be worth saving your effort.

IMHO a smartphone in a waterproof case with a backup battery beats a dedicated GPS every time. It may be that you can use your MM maps on the MM smartphone app.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby crfishwick » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Mountainlove wrote:My 6 year old Memory Map Adventurer GPS is slowly dying and I am looking for an replacement. I have a lot of 25K memory map, maps on my PC, but was told that for example Garmin does only takes the routes and waypoints, but I can't download OS memory maps to a Garmin device. The cheapest Memory map GPS which would take the maps is £400 - a bit too much for my budget.

Does anyone know of a device to which I can download my old memory OS maps? I use the GPS only for the maps, so I am a bit at loss what to do.

If all fails does anyone have a recommendation for a GPS?

Many thanks!!!

Yes you will struggle finding a GPX to run your M Maps! These that will run them are Memory maps sell GPS,s made by Magellan I think.

Although there is one Garmin model that will run them. The Garmin Monterra Rugged Handheld GPS with Android Operating. Although not cheap £400+. I bought one but sent it back due to not being able to fit MMaps 1:50k full mapping on it only parts of the UK

I would invest in a Garmin and use either there own paid for mapping or use free mapping if you search around.

Depending how old your MM mapping is you could put it onto an Andiod or Ios smartphone. But it is a complicated procedure not recommended for the fainthearted due to certain limitations. :lol:

Although MM now have a completely different system to latter years. There more recent mapping is easily downloaded to a phone.

Has for only using a phone nowadays give me a dedicated GPS everytime. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Beaker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:54 pm

If you're happy to use your phone, the old Memory Map (.qct format) files work as is with the Alpinequest app on Android (can't speak for IOS). With the free version you're limited to one map I seem to recall, but the paid for version isn't expensive and lets you use more.
Beaker
Scrambler

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:78   Islands:18

Postby crfishwick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Beaker wrote:If you're happy to use your phone, the old Memory Map (.qct format) files work as is with the Alpinequest app on Android (can't speak for IOS). With the free version you're limited to one map I seem to recall, but the paid for version isn't expensive and lets you use more.

Now that's new to me! Are you saying that MM .qct format files work on Alpinequest? I also have that app (paid for) and I didn't realise it could run them. Although you can download OS mapping with it for free. That may change in the near future though.

Although why use Alpineqest when the MM app runs .qtc files! :wink:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:57 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Beaker wrote:If you're happy to use your phone, the old Memory Map (.qct format) files work as is with the Alpinequest app on Android (can't speak for IOS). With the free version you're limited to one map I seem to recall, but the paid for version isn't expensive and lets you use more.

Now that's new to me! Are you saying that MM .qct format files work on Alpinequest? I also have that app (paid for) and I didn't realise it could run them. Although you can download OS mapping with it for free. That may change in the near future though.

Although why use Alpineqest when the MM app runs .qtc files! :wink:

Oops! My mistake the OS have already curtailed Alpinequest from using their mapping 2 years ago. They used to get them through Bing mapping. Not any more. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Roo and Plum » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:17 am

Alpinequest does work with memory map .qct os maps, I'm looking at one right now on my phone.
Roo and Plum

Munros:196   Corbetts:48
Fionas:28   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:209   Islands:40

Postby crfishwick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:29 am

Roo and Plum wrote:Alpinequest does work with memory map .qct os maps, I'm looking at one right now on my phone.

Well I never! :lol: Will try loading mine as I have AQ. Although what is the point as MM is a free app anyway? :lol: My MM maps are the the new type of .qtc and qc3 files. Not the ones that used to be hacked. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:25 pm

crfishwick wrote:
Roo and Plum wrote:Alpinequest does work with memory map .qct os maps, I'm looking at one right now on my phone.

Well I never! :lol: Will try loading mine as I have AQ. Although what is the point as MM is a free app anyway? :lol: My MM maps are the the new type of .qtc and qc3 files. Not the ones that used to be hacked. :wink:

Just checked with Alpine quest. Their reply is that "Display Memory-Map (.QCT only, not encrypted) file based maps" Therefore the MMaps you are using are their old style mapping :lol: :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Many thanks for all your replies!
I have downloaded the lite version of Alpinequest to my phone (never heard about the app before) and with the purchased version, I managed to download all my old OP maps to my mobile phone!
Works brilliant and I can access the maps without having to relay on data. Will need to test it up the hills next.
:D :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk