walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

PLB vs Spot Gen3 vs InReach

PLB vs Spot Gen3 vs InReach

Postby giuliapeddi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy an emergency signalling device and I've narrowed it down to the McMurdo FastFind Ranger, the Spot Gen3 Messenger or the Delorme InReach SE+.

I understand the differences in functionality but I struggle to understand which would be better in a proper emergency situation, and wanted to ask a few questions in case someone has a better understanding.

- I understand they all function through different satellite networks - is any one better than the others?
- I also seem to understand that the Spot and InReach go through a commercial "call centre" first, before relaying the signal to search and rescue, whereas PLBs go to SAR directly - does this make them faster? and if so, how faster is it?
- Is it true that PLBs would have an easier time getting the signal through because of the different transmitting frequency?
- One point seemingly in favour of Spot or InReach is the tracking option, which can send your last known location if the location at the time of the distress call is for some reason not available - how likely is it that a PLB will send an SOS signal but fail to relay the location?

I plan on using this for a trip in the Cairngorms in two weeks, but since they're quite expensive, I'm looking for more long-term considerations. I plan on hiking in the UK, especially Peak District, Scotland and Snowdonia, and hopefully somewhere else in the future (Iceland, Scandinavia, etc.). Communication might be nice, and the costs of Spot and InReach are actually comparable after 2/3 years, depending on how much use one makes of them, so ultimately I wanna buy the device most likely to rescue me in case of a proper emergency.

Thank you very much to anyone who will share info! =)
giuliapeddi
Scrambler

Re: PLB vs Spot Gen3 vs InReach

Postby JeroenB » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:39 am

I've had a Spot Gen2, now have an Inreach SE. There are some important differences:
1/ SE has a transmitter that is 2x more powerful, so more likely to get through foliage, canyons, even really bad weather.
2/ SE uses the iridium satellite network which has coverage from pole to pole. The Spot uses a network that does *NOT* cover from pole to pole. I learned this the hard way in Lyngen, Norway (69 deg North) where I was 'lost' for 36 hours, or so my family thought since they didn't get my 'OK's' and my tracking points didn't update. They were about to call emergency services when the tracking signal came through again...
3/ The Spot would often confirm to me that my message had been sent, but at home 20-25% of messages were never received. The Inreach has been totally reliable in 4 years of use.
4/ Two-way communication, don't underestimate this USP. The emergency services can text you after you've pressed the SOS button so they can estimate the urgency. If you've broken your ankle, you're clearly not getting off that mountain by yourself and you need help. But if you're safe and snug in your tent, do you want rescuers to risk their lives on a foggy mountain? I wouldn't.

I do not know in what way the Spot gen3 has been improved.

PLB's have even more powerful transmitters, if they fail to relay your location, no other device will.
JeroenB
Munro compleatist

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:06 pm

We've used a SPOT on canoeing trips to Sweden and Norway, as my mate has one. Its a nice bit of peace of mind, and we did have a moderate injury that if it had been worse, could have required help at a point where mobile signal would have meant climbing a mountain to get it. Mostly, though, it was peace of mind for those at home, as well as a way folk could engage with the trip and see how we were getting on. It seemed to work perfectly fine, but we weren't as far north as Jeroen.

Personally, I wouldn't bother in the UK, unless I was regularly solo in the remoter regions and had somebody at home worrying.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby onsen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:03 pm

I went the RescueMe PLB1 route...because I walk solo in remote & rugged country,
...and mistakes & snakes happen. :crazy:
So its piece of mind & maybe closure for my family too if I can't rescue myself or the team or helicopter
doesn't get there in time because of bad weather etc etc, at least they can locate my body.
But that scenario only works if I'm concious to push the button in the 1st place. :shock:

It's light, small & if you take it over the 7yr battery life & it's cheap life insurance @ roughly £30 per year.
Can be used anywhere in the world...now whether the country's rescue teams are up to scratch or even have
rescue teams is something to research before you go. :wink: I'm thinking 2nd & 3rd world countries here.

Hiring a Satellite phone is another communication tool option if your going to really remote places & need
to touch base. Just hire for the duration.

Hope some of that info helps...
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:21 pm

onsen wrote:I
But that scenario only works if I'm concious to push the button in the 1st place. :shock:

That's a good point, and one reason why we've used the SPOT, as if we don't check in, theoretically help can be caused. Mind you, when we're canoeing on big lakes, by the time anything has happened, its hours too late.

This reminds me of a cautionary tale regarding SPOT tracking. I was once getting drunk with a bunch of mates in a freezing caravan somewhere in the Welsh borders, when I had a phone call at half eleven from a mate's wife. Very uncharacteristic. So, said mate and another mate were at that point in time in Scotland, paddling on Loch Affric in a tandem open canoe. The wife had phoned me, clearly worried, to say that the SPOT track looked a bit weird. She'd been sat there thinking about whether to phone anybody for hours. She gave me all the details over the phone, and I borrowed somebody's tablet and somehow got online to look at it. When the Google map appeared, their track was, as she'd described it, very weird, going round in circles. The scary thing was, that on the standard google map, this was about 200m off shore of the island I knew they were going to camp on. No wonder the wife was worried. I racked my brains as to why they would have got so close to shore, then gone round and round, as it was clearly a deliberate circling, not a "drift". Eventually, I tried flipping the map from standard to satellite view. And guess what. The track was bang on the island, the map was wrong. After pushing "OK" on the spot, it transpired that they'd forgotten to turn it off, and it was in his pocket as he wandered about looking for driftwood or possibly a hole in the ground....
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby JeroenB » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:25 pm

[quote="onsen" But that scenario only works if I'm concious to push the button in the 1st place. :shock: [/quote]

I also hike solo, and that's why tracking is a big advantage. If I get a severe fever and go delirious, my family will see that the tracking points stay in the same place + they get no 'OK's' from me. If they alert the emergency services, that may just buy me enough time to get rescued without pushing the SOS button myself.

And if I slip and slide down a ravine, with the tracking points it shouldn't be too difficult to locate my body. I wouldn't want my family to go through prolonged uncertainties of where my body could be, or the nagging question if I could possibly be still alive - lost among those mountains and glaciers. And: if they have a body to bury, it will be a lot easier for them to come to terms with my death than without a body. Those are things to consider as well...
JeroenB
Munro compleatist

Postby onsen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:04 pm

onsen wrote:I went the RescueMe PLB1 route...because I walk solo in remote & rugged country,
...and mistakes & snakes happen. :crazy:
So its piece of mind & maybe closure for my family too if I can't rescue myself or the team or helicopter
doesn't get there in time because of bad weather etc etc, at least they can locate my body.

It's light, small & if you take it over the 7yr battery life & it's cheap life insurance @ roughly £30 per year.
Can be used anywhere in the world...now whether the country's rescue teams are up to scratch or even have
rescue teams is something to research before you go. :wink: I'm thinking 2nd & 3rd world countries here.

Hiring a Satellite phone is another communication tool option if your going to really remote places & need
to touch base. Just hire for the duration.

Hope some of that info helps...

Not sure if similar accessibility in the UK, but you can hire the Plb's for the duration of your trip from National Parks
& various other merchants here in Oz, if you don't want to outlay the initial cost.
Very handy for the longer, remote exposed fly in or fly out walks like the South Coast Track in southern Tasmania.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby onsen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Find your own level of comfort in the wilderness...I'm a map & compass guy.
I walk to leave technology & the constant background noise of modern society behind...if only temporarily.

I do leave a detailed itinerary, make sure my wife knows what to do if I'm overdue,
and walk the walk. If I hit a high point during the day or when camped at night that has mobile phone reception
I make a quick call...so do I leave a snail trail that way.
No fees & annual subscription required. :wink:
So a PLB suits me.

Hopefully others will chime in about the pros & cons about the Inreach & Spot
to help giulliapeddi make informed decision.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby giuliapeddi » Tue May 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Hey, thanks everyone for the helpful info!

I ended up getting a PLB since my priority is certainty of a rescue if sh*t really hits the fan. If I keep hiking regularly and more remotely, I'll consider updating to the InReach for double communication with both family and rescue services.

Thanks a lot!
giuliapeddi
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk