walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gaitors that are reliable and won't break the bank

Gaitors that are reliable and won't break the bank

Postby Outnabout » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Looking to get some gaitors, 4 pairs 2 adults, 2 kids. Can buy ones for £4-9 off eBay, are these worth the money or spend that bit more for something more reliable. Thanks
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Gaitors that are reliable and won't break the bank

Postby gld73 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:17 pm

I had a pair of Regatta ones that lasted years before a strap finally snapped. I still have them with the intention of maybe repairing them, but in the meantime have bought 2 pairs of cheap ebay ones. First time I put the first pair on I thought "wow, these are great for the money" ..... soon realised it was frustrating constantly having to stop to tighten them up again, and the plastic clip thing snapped on about the 4th outing. Bought another pair from another supplier (turned out to the same design) and same problems. So I guess you get what you pay for. If it's just for a one-off trip, the cheap ebay ones are fine, but if you're looking to get a lot of use out of them, just accept you might have to buy a new pair every month or so.

(I've since bought a new pair of Regatta Cayman gaiters, but got the wrong size - so if anyone has a small/medium pair they want to swap for an unused L/XL pair, give me a shout !! :lol: )
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Gaitors that are reliable and won't break the bank

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 am

When I first started out we just taped thick polythene bags around our lower legs. Fertiliser bags should do it.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk